96 explorer 4x4 parts swap into a 90 BII

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Su Dog

96 explorer 4x4 parts swap into a 90 BII

Post by Su Dog »

I am starting to get a budget build for a 90 BII 4wd auto trans and power equipment. I am thinking of using the 1996 explorer 4wd parts(5.0, auto trans, dash, wiring harness, axles, etc) for the swap. I also would like some feedback on the coil and leaf springs. Is it effective and more efficient to switch out the leaf springs and shocks to get the "lift" since the springs are over the axles? I am looking at the james duff website and see some of the prices and I am trying to stay within a range and the stuff I want is pushing the limits. I am only wanting to have a 2" body lift so that the motor goes in without lots of cutting and banging. I also want a true dual exhaust. This build is going to be done within the year. Thanks for reading and answering this post.
Ranger Dave

Re: 96 explorer 4x4 parts swap into a 90 BII

Post by Ranger Dave »

96 doesnt have coils up front
RClem

Post by RClem »

I read a post on another forum last summer about a fellow who swapped a 96-? into a B2. I don't remember all the particulars, but he spent a lot of time/money doing the swap.
There were some issues with the coil to torsion bar other than the obvious component swap.
Best suggestion would be to use a 95 and older Explorer.
It can be done, it just depends on how much you want to do it, and how long you have to do it in.

Ray
Su Dog

Post by Su Dog »

Yea, the 96 has IFS and no coils. I had someone say that the build could be done , but the reward is not that great after the time and money that will be needed to do the front axle swap from the 96 explorer. I will probably have to use a solid axle up front. I am probably going to order some suspension parts from James Duff. Will the V8 and auto transmission fit good or is that going to be a hassle as well? Can I use the 96 explorer springs? Do you know if the dash will transfer? I saw one guy switched out his dash with a 97 explorer.
RClem

Post by RClem »

Front axle is up to you, I like my D35 TTB but others don't like them. Check out some of the other B2 forums, there are many articles about swapping suspension parts, a lot of time and money saving things others have done. To the best of my knowledge, the rear springs are interchangeable threw 99 and maybe later. I know the dash up to 95 will swap, and I seem to remember a post about a fellow who put a 98 or 99 dash in a B2. Most everything can be made to fit, it all depends on how involved you want to get. Measure the width of both dashes, and check to see where the column goes as well as the mount under the dash that holds the steering column. Check it out very carefully before you start swapping.
The 5.0 swap is common, again, check around the other B2 forums.

Ray