front diff

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Colin

front diff

Post by Colin »

I have just bought a 1984 Bronco 2 and it looks like the whole front end [running gear] has been replaced at some time. The numbers on the diff housing are as follows: 004 to the far left as you look from the front. Then a little further along are these numbers:

P 261 3 1

Does this register with anyone out there? What differential have I got in the front of this thing? It has only done 60,000 miles so it is hard to imagine that the original owner [one owner vehicle] had to swap out the front end on it. But this whole thing is a differet color from the rest of the running gear, and a lot cleaner.

Colin
RClem

Re: front diff

Post by RClem »

Have a look here, it may shed some light on your dilemma: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... Axles.html

Ray
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks a bunch Ray. There were no numbers there that helped me identify my diff but it is clear that I have a Dana 28 'cause I have a twelve bolt cover plate on the front of mine. The 35 has a ten bolt plate. Strange that that whole assembly is cleaner and a different color than the other undercarriage stuff. Oh well. If I can just get the thing smogged I will be a happy camper lol. It sat for years and the oil seals have gone on it. I am hoping that a can of Bars Leaks seal conditioner will remedy that over time.
Colin
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Collin,

The title to your BII does it say 2WD or 4WD? Could be someone made it a FWD and hence the newer look. Mine was a 2WD that I converted. Either way if it works drive it like ya stole it and don't look back till it grenades! Then go D35 or Straight axle it then.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Colin

Post by Colin »

yeah that would be good if the title mentioned anything about 4x4 or 2x4 but it doesn't. The label on the driver's door has for axle 'D42' if anyone knows what that means. It was a one owner vehicle and the original title [pink slip] is just a very small piece of paper nothing like they are now. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Colin
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

theres is no D42, see if there is a tag on the rear. or count how many the driveshaft goes around to 1 revolution of the tire

Bronco II

42 Regular 2640 3.45
44 Regular 2640 3.73
47 Regular 2500 4.10
D2 Limited Slip 2500 3.45
D4 Limited Slip 2640 3.73
D7 Limited Slip 2500 4.10
Colin

Post by Colin »

I have attempted to attach a photo of my door label to this post but I really don't know what I am doing in that regard, so it may not get there lol. My label most definitely has D42 for the axle type. And I have no label attached to the rear of the front diff.
Last edited by Colin on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm
Ranger Dave wrote: count how many the driveshaft goes around to 1 revolution of the tire
RClem

Post by RClem »

I think maybe I have figured out what is going on. Note the arrow that points to the axle code, to the left of the axle code is the transmission code "D".
The 85 and earlier B2 & ranger door sticker I have seen in wrecking yards are a little different than this one from my 86 B2.
So maybe he has a "D" transmission and a "42" axle: That would, I think, give him a Mitsubishi 5-Speed Code 'D' FM-145, and a 3.45 gear ratio.