4.0 swap.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
carson

4.0 swap.

Post by carson »

ok, ive got a 91 explorer that runs great but doesn't move anymore. front stubs rusted away this winter and recently the rear driveshaft yolk snapped apart. best $200 i have ever spent on a ride. but il is hard on metal and has taken its toll on the ol girl. got a line on a cheap b2 that is in decent shape. its a 90 with a 5 speed and 2.9l. will the explorer 4.0l (with auto trans) hook up to the 5 speed in the b2? i guess i should ask what do i need to know? the rest of the swap has been cleard up by researching the forums, but this question hasn't been. thanks all!
Ranger Dave

Re: 4.0 swap.

Post by Ranger Dave »

yes
carson

Post by carson »

thanks! do i need a different clutch and pressure plate?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

you can go with the 4.0 setup but you will need the flywheel, clutch,p-plate and starter
carson

Post by carson »

thanks alot, very helpful.
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

so i can use all the 2.9 wiring and everthing ,then its better to use all the 4.0 running gear i have a 5 speed trans not auto will that work
RClem

Post by RClem »

http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/vi ... =9135#9135
Read the article at the above link, ignore the part about having to have a Ranger.

Ray
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

but he says

"The bulkhead plug pinouts I believe are the same".

he doesnt know cause he hasent done it him self
RClem

Post by RClem »

Ranger Dave wrote:but he says

"The bulkhead plug pinouts I believe are the same".

he doesnt know cause he hasent done it him self
Agreed, but I think the wiring has the same color coding, at least the 91 Explorer and the 90 B2 we did a couple of years ago did. I don't remember any of the wires were swapped around or not. I do know, the 90 B2 dash & plug That I put into my 86 B2 had the same wiring color code as the 92 Explorer, but I swapped all the wiring harness to prevent any problems. (We'll see if that was worth while in the spring)

Ray
04sd

Post by 04sd »

I did a '91 Ex swap into my '90 BII a few years ago. The '91 wiring harness plugs right into the '90 firewall but there were (I think) two wires that needed to be swapped. Also had to do some re-wiring for the power windows/locks. For the most part though everything forward of the firewall is '91 Ex. I didn't touch anything behind the firewall with the exception of the harness and computer under the right side kick panel.
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction