Tire breaker. Not fot the weak of arm.

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
cajun66

Tire breaker. Not fot the weak of arm.

Post by cajun66 »

I made this to keep from paying some jack leg to do something I've been doing on tractors for years. All I have are a few tire bars so I neede a bead breaker:

The spoon is a piece of 3/8 x 2 flat bar I curved and burned an edge on. Welded the spoon to a peice of 1 inch square PTO shaft. The handle is a piece of 1 inch round PTO shaft with a bicycle handgrip on the end. I welded a 1 1/4 inch nut as a striker. When using my short handled 12lb maul, I ain't met a bead I couldn't break yet. Broke a set of tires on my tractor that have been on the rims since 1978 within 5 hits.

If you're a blacksmith, you'll have no problems. Otherwise prepare for a workout.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Illigitimus Non Carbarundum
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
Nobody

Re: Tire breaker. Not fot the weak of arm.

Post by Nobody »

Awesome!
cajun66

Post by cajun66 »

I ain't got no money, but I do have a ton of scrap and a damn fine welding rig. :D
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Illigitimus Non Carbarundum
1985 Bronco2
1958 Willys CJ5
Colin

Post by Colin »

I simply arrange some wooden blocks to drive up onto, close the height of my rim with the tire on that I need to break the seal on, and then one more across from that pile onto the tire, and then drive my vehicle up onto this with the wheel on top of the tire that needs to have the seal broken, and hey presto, the job is done most times without any further work. Just did this with a couple of 16 inch tires that had been on some rims for twenty years and they both broke without any physical exertion on my part at all.