AR15 build

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Phillippi

AR15 build

Post by Phillippi »

I bought a stripped lower and then a rifle kit and it showed up on friday. It only took about an hour after gathering the tools. This is the cheapest way to get a good rifle for relatively low price. 16" heavy barrell, aggresive flash hider for CQC, CTR milspec buttstock, Tactical Machine TM-15 lower, DTI upper flattop with Tmarks and M4 feedramps, Matech flipup BIUS, old cheap BSA reddot sight etc, etc. I love it.
Attachments
16" heavy barrell, aggresive flash hider for CQC, CTR milspec buttstock, Tactical Machine TM-15 lower, DTI upper flattop with Tmarks and M4 feedramps, etc, etc, etc,
16" heavy barrell, aggresive flash hider for CQC, CTR milspec buttstock, Tactical Machine TM-15 lower, DTI upper flattop with Tmarks and M4 feedramps, etc, etc, etc,
tekatlarge

Re: AR15 build

Post by tekatlarge »

I Gotta reel my tongue back in...

I love it!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
THEPATRIOT

Post by THEPATRIOT »

Very nice!Mine's alomost done,i need an optic still.I've put MOE handguards on since the pic,and got a Surefire M600C Scout light.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Nice AR. I would like to put a quad rail on for a tac light and a front vertical grip. Get some updated pics and lets see the final product.
PHROX

Post by PHROX »

Nice AR! How much are you into it? Have you looked at the robinson arms xcr? I am thinking about getting one of these. They are pricy, but I think you get what you pay for out of it. Plus when they come out with a .22lr conversion it will be cheaper to go play/train with.
1987 Bronco2, d44/9" locked, sweet paint job. Now with available 5.0
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I am into mine about $650 total parts. I have looked into the .22 conversion but I have plenty of .223 to play with (and so does my father in law!).
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

So what's with the 22 conversion? Just cheaper ammo?

Educate me on these AR's. How are they different from what I used in the military?

Any recommendations on a hand gun? If things work out, I might be in the market in a few months.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

The .22 conversion is a different bolt so you can run .22lr in an AR for cheap shooting. The AR that I built is mostly the same as what you used in the USMC except for stock changes and a flattop upper to make it easier to mount optics. They do make a piston system conversion so that shooting is much cleaner then with the gas system. Its sweet. You can shoot 1000s of rounds without a jam because all the carbon and unburnt powder is expelled out of the front of the handguard instead of back into the chamber. It also is much cooler in the chamber which helps with wear.

Hand guns are just prefrence. A foolproof gun is a Glock, but not the prettiest gun out there. I would go to a gun shop that has an indoor shooting range and they will let you shoot their loaners to see which feels the best .
drofman

Post by drofman »

you guys are so lucky to not live in Ca. Mini 14 only thing that not on the list
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Phillippi wrote: Hand guns are just prefrence. A foolproof gun is a Glock, but not the prettiest gun out there. I would go to a gun shop that has an indoor shooting range and they will let you shoot their loaners to see which feels the best .

When I got my first C.W.P. years ago I met a local gun shop owner/retired County Cop. He took me to the local Seattle police shooting range and I shot I think 8 or 10 different handguns from his shop. The biggest was the Desert Eagle and the smallest was a dime store 380. Revolvers and semi autos in the mix to get a feel for each pistol.. It was a real eye opening experience. I finally decided my favorite was an S&W Model 19 357 Magnum Revolver. I love that pistol. Not worth a damn for long distance because of the shorter barrel but a great personal defense weapon. I also like the fact that I can shoot cheaper 38 ammo and with a lighter load I can target shoot and not be as hard on the weapon. Of course over the years I have several different handguns that I have collected, traded, or bought that seem to stick with me. My personal fav is the 357. I also have one of them throw away dime store 380's a Davis 380. I also have a Charter Arms 45 Auto. My wife is conservative. She only has a SW 38 Spcl. I also have a very dangerous 9mm I took off the market just so it wouldn't hurt anyone. It was a Grendel P-something or another if I remember correctly. The most unsafe pistol I have ever seen.This pistol is loaded from the top using m16 stripper clips. It is literally loaded with 1 in the chamber at all times. I test fired this pistol about 15 rounds and the slide retention pin busted the plastic body of the damn thing. I am waiting for 1 of them gun buyback programs to recover the 69.95 I spent for it. I think I have plenty of handgun protection. I only have a few long-guns so I think it is time to increase my long gun collection next.

Its a great idea to get your local gun store to bring a few guns to the range to let you see what fits you best.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

ok so a couple more parts changed out. Changed out to an Ergo grip, KZ quad rail, and a sling. I am done for a while now, but still only about $740 or so into it. Love it, but I havent shot it yet. I hope to this coming monday. Freakin work keeps getting in the way...
Attachments
arbuildup.jpg
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Phillippi wrote:ok so a couple more parts changed out. Changed out to an Ergo grip, KZ quad rail, and a sling. I am done for a while now, but still only about $740 or so into it. Love it, but I havent shot it yet. I hope to this coming monday. Freakin work keeps getting in the way...
Well you know the cure for work gettin in the way? Just take that AR out on duty and test it on some bad guys.. Ha Ha Ha
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

I've built a few AR's over the years and its much cheaper to build them then it is to buy them. All of mine are Colts except one Bushmaster with the Tactical Solutions AR22 upper.

I collect WWI and WWII rifles, pistols, bayonets, and anything to do with the wars.
drofman

Post by drofman »

I know you guys are AR Guys but did some work on my Mini 14.
Sent the trigger out to get rid of the creep and set at 2.5 lbs
Put a Houge stock on it.
Installed a SOCOM barrel strut.
Top it off with a Burris Fastfire red dot.
Living here in Cali can’t do a lot.
Below is the before and after.
Attachments
P6290119.JPG
P6290120.JPG
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey Drof,

That's a nice looking rifle. You did a good Job on it. I understand ya about living in California... Even up here in Worshington they are screaming for more regulations...

Ah your post reminded me of a strange trip I had yesterday on a trip to the dreaded "WALLMART" I went there to save some money on a case of brake kleen Spray solvent. Whilst I were in there I wandered to sporting goods to see what kind of smokin deals there was to be had on Firearms.

I had no intent on buying a gun. I got to talking with the guy behind the counter and asked to see a little ol 22 rifle. He asks me single shot or semi auto. I instinctively said Semi Auto. He says I got one left here. He showed me a Savage model number 64. I liked the look and feel of the gun. I casually asked how much? I was expecting the same old $189. to $199. I about fell over when he says well we got it priced at $137 and for you I will give it to you for $125 and even through in the Demo Tasco Scope that was mounted on it. Well I am a sucker for a deal so Before even really thinking I said I'll take it. I was disappointed when he didn't have any ammo but that seems to be the norm everywhere these days No thanks to the damn Government.

Well after blowing my Brake Kleen budget and buying the 22 I opted for a mere 4 cans of Brake Kleen instead of a case. I guess I just gotta be more sparing in my use of it. So I show up at the ranch and try to smuggle the rifle past "The War Dept", Oh crap it didn't work to well. She gets sight of it and starts the old tried tested "What do you need another rifle for?" routine. Oh crap What am I going to say to appease her. Ahhhhhh then it came to me! Two weeks ago I was lying in wait in the back yard watching a gopher building another one of his little volcano's.

I will admit I was a little over-armed but I like my 4595 Carbine and that damn gopher was driving me nuts! as I watched him pushing more dirt out of his hole I decided to dispatch this little bastard to the great mound in the earth. I aimed for the middle of his volcano (the mound of dirt) I pulled off 4 shots in rapid succession. Now not so much as I wanted to decimate the bugger but I like the sound of the carbine firing! My tragic mistake was to not account for the War Dept's Flower garden. My 4 shots not only dispatched 1 rodent, but single handed decapitated one of her rose bushes and dug a furrow in her garden... Man I was in deep stuff.

Well when she asked the "another gun" question I cautiously reminded her that I couldn't control the varmints efficiently with a cannon so I decided to "Downscale" my weapon. Well she actually bought it, She looks thoughtfully and says yes, less collateral damage is good. I breathe a big sigh thinking I am off the hook, then she turns back and says "You still owe me for two rosebushes and I am going to the garden store and doing some shopping, You better be ready to break out the old Debit card.

Result of the story:
I now have a nice plinking gun that only cost me about $900.00........
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington