Junk A4LD

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
m3gunner

Junk A4LD

Post by m3gunner »

I have a 89 Bronco II, 2.9L, 4X4, A4LD. I am running 6" lift and 33's. When I redeployed, my wife told me the transmission was blown. It will not go in gear unless I go to 4X4 and only works .1% then. I know I need another trans and would like to get the A4LD out of the truck permanently. My question is if I go with a 5 SPD what can I take it from. And if I go with the C4 or C5 what changes do I need to make. Thanks for your help, I really need my toy back on the road.
greenmachine89

Re: Junk A4LD

Post by greenmachine89 »

If you go over to 5 speed you will need the wiring harness, computer, slave cylinder, and peddles. You should look into the valve body, pretty common on those to get all clogged up.
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
m3gunner

Post by m3gunner »

I see what you mean on the standard, would be nice but maybe down the road. There is talk that the A4LD behind the 4.0 is stronger, will it bolt to the 2.9L?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

m3gunner wrote:I see what you mean on the standard, would be nice but maybe down the road. There is talk that the A4LD behind the 4.0 is stronger, will it bolt to the 2.9L?

yup
m3gunner

Post by m3gunner »

Can you tell me the years that will work? I have seen a lot of explorers I could take from but I want to make sure I get the right year. Again thanks for your help.
Tom
89 B2 on 33's (for now)
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

91 to 94
forman621

Post by forman621 »

i did the same swap but i have an 1986 bronco II and i bought a 93 A4LD out of a Ranger. the changes i had to make was the kickdown cable bracket just needs to be switched out. the tranny cooler lines were a different, the original were 5/16 and the 4.0 was a 3/8 which is nice to have. so you will need some new adapters to the radiator which i got at NAPA. Try to get a big trans cooler for that thing, the bigger the better. it will prolong its life. now something that i learned after i was done was that hooking up the lines to the radiator and the cooler can have a bad outcome and that is if you engine overheats so will the tranny fluid. something to think about. my transmission dry took about 10 quarts of dex/merc. which works fine. the only problem between the transmissions was the Shift linkage was backwards it was out of a truck with the column shift. mine is a floor shift. then since the 93 was quite a bit newer than the original, they had to throw in some more computer controlled crap. so i still dont have a fourth gear. because the original overdrive selenoid was a 2 wire conection and the new one is a three wire. I am now in the process of switching valve bodies. and that should do the trick and i should have overdrive.
hope fully that helps feel free to ask me more questions on the swap.