2.8 getting no fuel?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
broncojeremy

2.8 getting no fuel?

Post by broncojeremy »

ive replaced most ofthe ignition and its sparking good , ive poure gas down the cylanders starting fluid but no combustion just te occasional backfir. is there somethng that could be preventing fuel fom gtting to the cylandes from thecarb?
Ranger Dave

Re: 2.8 getting no fuel?

Post by Ranger Dave »

you got the plug wires on right??? check the timing
broncojeremy

Post by broncojeremy »

yeah they're all good howdo i check timing if it eon't start? the timing gear?
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

I'd check the basics - quality of the spark - (easily done with someone else trying to start the B2) - fuel presure (there are alot of posts on here showing how to do that - its a relatively easy check) - timing (I usually use a light gun) but that is only really useful, like you say, after its running.

What age is the B2? Mines is an '84 and Ive found a few that age where the carb has died and needed rebuilt. The symptoms we very similar to what you describe. My B2 is/has been threatening this for a while now - Im trying to avoid it by regularly putting sea foam in it.

Im barely an amateur with this stuff - but I hope that helps....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

the title says 2.8 getting no fuel.so itsa 84/85. you can use a timing light with out it running. and he said when he puts gas down the carb it back fires.

was it running ok before you played with it
broncojeremy

Post by broncojeremy »

yeah i hadit running pretty well what is sea foam? but i had to weld o theharmonic balence because i couldn't find a pin to fit i'm baffled because it's a diferent rebuilt motor than was in it the gy i bought it from said it ws supposed to have serpantine belts on it but there are no 2.8's that i could ever find with a serpantine i think those camein the 90's? it's an 85 the only problem i had before al this was it was leaking a little oil and a moderate amount of tranny fluid both the dipsticks pulled out i tink they were wiggling loose since someone didnt bolt them in. i'd love to meet the previously previous owney so i could get some info and kick his ass!!!
broncojeremy

Post by broncojeremy »

quality of spark whats that? it looks good can i test the voltage? um also the driverside plugs wre soaked in oil and rthe passengerside plugs loked to've burnt itoff, i replaced them and after about 2 days of cranking it over they didn't have any oil or over burn look normal but not new
broncojeremy

Post by broncojeremy »

and also i read yesterday that the valves on the 2.8's have some type of rubber seal around them is that true because im notsure im up for replacing valves it's the precise measuring im worried aboiut
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

if it was running before you played with it,its something you did
broncojeremy

Post by broncojeremy »

all i did was clean the distributor cap ad it never ran agin and i twisted it around thnkingi might've threw it off, what else is in the distributor because i've replace the ecm? cap rotor coil and plugs now i need a starter
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

you can move the dist.quite abit and its still gonna run. you get the right rotor??? and you WELDED the harmonic balancer :wtf:
broncojeremy

Post by broncojeremy »

yeah tha' wht i sid whtf i was tired of it falling off and ot being able to driveit so wat the hell i blme it on the beam um it's the samesize as t last
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

broncojeremy wrote:yeah tha' wht i sid whtf i was tired of it falling off and ot being able to driveit so wat the hell i blme it on the beam um it's the samesize as t last

you wanna say that again
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

the quality of the spark is what I mean by how big and blue the spark is that is coming off of the the spark plugs. I usually pull one plug at a time and hold it next to the engine block as someone turns the engine - the spark jumps from the plug to the block and you can see if is nice fat and blue.

why dont you try a new rotor arm etc.
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
broncojeremy

Post by broncojeremy »

no it's big and orange not blue