solid front axle swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
OBXFHB

solid front axle swap

Post by OBXFHB »

looking to do a front axle swap on my b2 now. right now i still have the stock rear end. will the stock rear end be ok to leave in? what kind of truck should i look for to get a solid front. i was thinking a yota because i wasnt sure if any explorers had a solid front. axle swaps are something new to me and i dont know much about gearing
clem

Re: solid front axle swap

Post by clem »

It depends on what kind of wheeling your going to do, if it's just a trail rig the early broncos are fairly easy, if you got the Dana 28 you could just swap out for the dana 35. The Dana 35 comes in explorers and rangers after '89 I think, it's not a solid axle but stronger than the D28. :canada: :redneck:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

you wanna keep about the same width the B2 is now,go with the EB 44/9in. ther are almost a bolt in
OBXFHB

Post by OBXFHB »

thanks my b2 is a 89. what truck should i look for with that axle RangerDave? its goin to be used for mudd and trails. i want to put 35's on and i think this twin ibeam is goin to be difficult to do that with. i already put exploder coils and leafs on but i really want a solid axle in the front.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

EB= early bronco

if you go with full size(F150/Bronco) there to wide

im running 33's with me TTB. your B2 have a D28 or a D35 front end
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

orcus420

Post by orcus420 »

I have some pics of mine on myspace. http://www.myspace.com/general_fu

Mine is running a Dana44 up front and a 9" Ford in the rear from an early Bronco. Other mods are 5.0 HO from a Mustang GT, NP435 4-speed, and an NP205 transfer case. I run 35" tires and the lift consists of 3.5" early Bronco coils from James Duff and a 3" body lift. Note that the Dana44 swap with 3.5" coils actually nets about 6" of lift.
87 BII
5.0 HO
NP435 4-Speed
NP205 Transfer Case
Dana44 w/ ARB
9" Ford w/ Detroit Locker
35" Pro-Comp MT's
OBXFHB

Post by OBXFHB »

ok so im most deff havin some trouble finding a EB for a axle. Is there any others trucks that have the right front axle. like jeep or toyota?
dirtcowboy

Post by dirtcowboy »

orcus420 wrote:I have some pics of mine on myspace. http://www.myspace.com/general_fu

Mine is running a Dana44 up front and a 9" Ford in the rear from an early Bronco. Other mods are 5.0 HO from a Mustang GT, NP435 4-speed, and an NP205 transfer case. I run 35" tires and the lift consists of 3.5" early Bronco coils from James Duff and a 3" body lift. Note that the Dana44 swap with 3.5" coils actually nets about 6" of lift.

Nice truck. What did you do for a track bracket? I've got the Duff front lift stuff for the EB D44.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

dirtcowboy wrote:
orcus420 wrote:I have some pics of mine on myspace. http://www.myspace.com/general_fu

Nice truck. What did you do for a track bracket? I've got the Duff front lift stuff for the EB D44.

how bout a pic of your rig
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

just picked up a EB Dana 30 (wanted a solid axle but couldn't afford a Dana 44 at this time), any way, getting ready to start the install and wanted to know if you have to lift it in order for the axle to fit or can I keep it more or less stock height, first things first though, swapping out the drum brakes for disks off a 78 f150, using the spindles backing plate and calipers of an 80 chevy 1/2 ton.
orcus420

Post by orcus420 »

My bracket is home fabbed. I had it out at Duff Enterprises here in Knoxville a few months ago. I noticed a big ass RV that usually isn't there in front, but didn't think much of it. I'm standing at the parts counter talking to Brian (who drives a Jeep with Duff radius arms/springs) and glance out the window to see none other than James Duff himself checking out my BII and Mrs. Duff asked to take some pics of it, which of course I didn't mind at all lol. I didn't have a camera on me and I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not asking her to get a pic of James and I and send me. Hoping to run into him again, he was a hell of a nice guy, as is the rest of the family/staff.

Will add a pic of my bracket to my myspace page over the weekend. If you can't find EB axles, just go full width. I often wish I had full width under mine.
87 BII
5.0 HO
NP435 4-Speed
NP205 Transfer Case
Dana44 w/ ARB
9" Ford w/ Detroit Locker
35" Pro-Comp MT's