fire hazzard?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
djadjective

fire hazzard?

Post by djadjective »

So I noticed this problem on my 88 the other week. When I'm driving with the headlights on, the top of my steering column heats up to the point where it smells like burning plastic. I removed the cover and none of the wires seem burnt or frayed, and the cover isnt melted on the back. Its the rear top of the column around the turn signal switch, just not sure why it would heat up when the headlights are on though when the headlight switch isn't even on the column. Any idea what it could be?
ecst2wcst

Re: fire hazzard?

Post by ecst2wcst »

I am glad you caught this before any real damage was caused. It has been awhile since I have had my column apart but I believe you will find your problem is in the connector on the turn signal/high-low switch for your head lights. On my BII I had a terminal inside the connector with some resistance on it heat up and melt the plug. With the cover off of your column turn your head lights on. Cycle between high and low beam. It shouldn't take too long to find the culprit. In my case I had a melt down at night and lost my lights. I was able to dis-assemble everything with a Swiss Army knife and get back on the road. My connector was so distorted I could not plug it back in and had to get a replacement from the junk yard. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Rob in NC
djadjective

Post by djadjective »

It is the plug you described. Its only the top right part of the plug that heats up, the rest of it is actually cool. Do I need to disconnect it and clean up the inside and apply dielectric grease on it or find another one and replace the whole plug?
ecst2wcst

Post by ecst2wcst »

In my case I had to replace the plastic part of the connector. Mine had fried, melted. distorted, you name it. The plug was a goner. I took one look at the wiring harness and decided to replace just the plastic part. Carefully, I took one wire loose from the bad plug and put it in the duplicate spot on the good plug. When I came across the bad terminal I cleaned it up and bent it out slightly so that when everything was assembled there would be more pressure on that connection. Recently I had to replace the turn signal/high-low switch and noticed that the plug had over heated slightly again. I didn't care as I needed the Bronco to last one more year. Just use your own judgment on your repair. Also, I try not to drive with my high beams on. Pulls more amps. I don't like the smell of burning plastic. Hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction.
Rob in NC
djadjective

Post by djadjective »

Yeah, the connector had melted on the headlight side. I got a new one at work, the Standard Ignition number is S622 for anyone that might run into this problem. Turn signals and lights work, the real challenge is going to be running the lights for a longer time tonight. Ill let you know if it all works.
djadjective

Post by djadjective »

Yeah, works great! no fires or melting, woo hoo!
ecst2wcst

Post by ecst2wcst »

Glad you got it figured out!
Rob in NC