Noise in Tranny

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tydaug

Re: Noise in Tranny

Post by tydaug »

Found a 146 from a '92 ranger. The guy said I could pull i out for a hundred bucks, so im doin that this weekend if the weather holds up. If it's no good he'll take it back. The junkyard has an m5od-r1 they can take out for 250 with a 30 day warranty. Would my shifter on the 146 bolt into the shifter on the R1? it's been cut off.... just looking at my options.
tydaug

Post by tydaug »

How much would parts and tools cost to rebuild my bad transmission? It's goin to be sitting around and I'd like to learn how to do it. Suggest any books? Anybody tried?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

whats the 92 ranger have for a engine??

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-810 ... ld_kit.htm
tydaug

Post by tydaug »

Guy said it was a 1992 ext cab ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 in it. and has the tall shifter. so,.......uh yea its probably the mazda tranny, not the mitsu. Would I need to change the pilot bearing? what about the starter location? is that the same?
tydaug

Post by tydaug »

Got the tranny last weekend. The shifters are different and the two electrical connections are on the opposite side. Shouldn't matter since my wires seemed to have enough slack. The mazda trans is about a half inch taller. I ended up cutting the crossover pipe on the ranger to get the trans out. When I pulled mine out, i didn't have to do that. Those bolts are TIGHT. I'm going to try sliding the new trans in past em with out takin the pipe off. I'll find out saturday morning.
tydaug

Post by tydaug »

Mazda tranny is installed! :D I got it on without takin the crossover pipes off. The manual transfer case shifter was in the same spot, but the gear shifter ended up about two inches closer to the motor. I cut the plate that was bolted to the floor and trimmed the plastic that the boots attach to and it all looks right and works right.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

:beer: :beer: :beer:
tydaug

Post by tydaug »

Here's the bad news. When I took off after fixin the carpet and all, I didn't notice i left the transfer case in 4L. So when it wasn't speeding up right I hit the gas a lil bit, which threw my foot back and repeated 3 times, :mad: then shifted to second and threw the transfer case to 2H without clutching (slight gear clash) :mad2: . Now i got a chunking noise When gassing on right turns or takin off in a straight line. It sounds like it's coming from the front left axle? Can being in 4L mess things up if the hubs aren't locked?
tydaug

Post by tydaug »

After driving her around for a while, I can say that every time the truck's weight is shifted to the left, it makes the noise. (Right turns, when the truck is rocking) I can't say for sure the axle or DS or trans is to blame, but I mainly feel the vibration through the gas pedal. It doesn't make a difference if it's in four wheel drive or not. It doesn't do it at higher RPM's (3k and up). I don't think it's doing it when I'm off the gas pedal.
tydaug

Post by tydaug »

Went and got some new wheels. Aluminum off the same ranger I got the tranny from. I got a feeling the noise I'm hearing is one of the motor mounts going bad.I guess next paycheck I'll be fixing that!