I believe its the tranny that is toast

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
rmodel65

I believe its the tranny that is toast

Post by rmodel65 »

so i bought my Bii the owner said it was the transfer case. i no longer think the tcase is bad.

symptoms. when running with the clutch depressed there is no noise. if you let out the clutch then its start to make a slight rattling noise.

with the tcase in neutral i can row through the gears it makes the rattling noise. now if i slip the tcase into any setting 2h,4l,4h it
i get the grinding noise, and popping etc...

im thinking that the tranny input main shaft might be stripped or something, ive read on a lot of posts that the tranny is a weak link.

what all years should i look for another tranny/tcase combo im gonna try and make a trip to the junkyard.

im not sure what tranny ? its an 88 Bii my vin is 1FMCU14T9JUC79207 what should i look for my door tag is missing
rmodel65

Re: I believe its the tranny that is toast

Post by rmodel65 »

alright apparently i have the fm146 as i have the shifter style pictured below and i have the 12 bolt pan on the bottom. if i find say a 4cylinder tranny i can use it as long as i swap to the v6 bell housing correct?

Ranger Dave

Re: I believe its the tranny that is toast

Post by Ranger Dave »

apparently the 146 wasent used behind the 4cyls. what ever you find for a 4cyl, get the trans code off the door sticker