My new project

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
Ranger Dave

My new project

Post by Ranger Dave »

its not a B2 but close enough. it for my 86 STX
the setup i have now is 2.9,FM146,half a 1350 and a divorced 205 with 4:56 gears.that gives me a 83.3:1 crawl. love it,works great but i want lower and ta do it different.So in going with a C5 with a 435/D20 behind it so that will give me 185.3:1 crawl. I have the 2wd 435,the adapter for the 435,the 6cyl D20 and housing,the rebuilt C5(from my blackB2) and the coupler the hook the two shafts together.just need to make up the adapter to bolt the trannys together. it there is any intrest ill post some pics. this setup is waaaay to long for a B2
Bones

Re: My new project

Post by Bones »

So your hookin a manual trans behind an auto trans?

Sweet!

Post away buddy!

In the endless search for more gearing I am very interested in this one.

I have heard of guys hooking 2 manuals together but not an auto in the mix.

So would you need to throw the auto in neutral/park to be able to shift the manual through it's gears?

The 435 has like a close to 4:1/or/6:1 low gear right? Depending on the model.

That plus the 2.4? low range in the d20 and first gear in the C5 would give you some massively deep gearing. Easily over ride your braking system with that kind of torque multiplication.

If I'm not mistaken or my math is bad I guess that would give you like 24 different gears/ratios to play with, wouldn't it?
Yes my neck is red.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

first i had to find a 2wd NP435 with a 28 spline rear output shaft(yes there is a 31 spline). this one came out of a 75 F350 4x4.
then i needed a adapter to mount a D20 to a 435. i lucked out and found this one. its a old style but workd just fine. its two piece. first plate mounts the the tranny,bolt the second one to the first then bolt on the D20
first one
second one
done
D20 mounted
the D20 is on far enough
done
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

now for the dual tranny setup. im using a M5OD for the mockup. it has the same rear spline count as a C5. first i cut the input shaft from the 435(first one i cut to short)
oops
i used the rear flat flange from a 1350 and pressed it on the 435 input. then found a slip yoke from a 2wd xplorer
this is to short,no room to weld
i cut another one, longer this time
again this just a mockup. i still need to make the adapter to bolt the trannys together and weld the flange to the input shaft
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Bones wrote:So your hookin a manual trans behind an auto trans?

Sweet!

Post away buddy!

In the endless search for more gearing I am very interested in this one.

I have heard of guys hooking 2 manuals together but not an auto in the mix.

So would you need to throw the auto in neutral/park to be able to shift the manual through it's gears?

The 435 has like a close to 4:1/or/6:1 low gear right? Depending on the model.

That plus the 2.4? low range in the d20 and first gear in the C5 would give you some massively deep gearing. Easily over ride your braking system with that kind of torque multiplication.

If I'm not mistaken or my math is bad I guess that would give you like 24 different gears/ratios to play with, wouldn't it?
i like doing things different, plus i have the room with the xtra cab. for normal driving put the 435 in 4th and run the auto in drive. the 435 is 6.69:1,D20 is 2.47:1,C5 is 2.46:1 with 456 gears.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

this is the setup i have now, works great

http://rangerdave.freeforums.org/the-tractor-t21.html
Bones

Post by Bones »

Sweet!

I'm love it when guys take different approaches to projects instead of following the masses, great tech there man.

So I guess you need to pull the tcase off to change that U-joint when the need arrizes hey?

I wonder if any one could make you a one piece shaft by sending them the spud shaft you made there?
Would be a great upgrade down the road if you intend to keep that set-up.

Thanks for posting.
Bones
Yes my neck is red.