any tricks on bleeding the breaks?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
neb_scot

any tricks on bleeding the breaks?

Post by neb_scot »

Im definitely going to have to bleed my breaks soon. Its not a problem to bleed them in general - my problem is getting the darned bleed nipples to turn. Ive never, ever had luck with any car doing this. Its always resulted in having to replace the cylinder or caliper.

So, prior to jumping in to that fun, I thought I would reach out and see if any more experienced guys would happen to have any knowledge to impart...

I have no idea how long its been since the would have been serviced. The previous owner did nothing to the B2 the entire time he owned it - except top the fluids...
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
clem

Re: any tricks on bleeding the breaks?

Post by clem »

start soaking the penetrating oil to them a day or so before you go to bleed them, a little heat may help just remember , just a little! :canada: :redneck:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

so here comes my dumb question - Ive never heard of "soaking the penetrating oil". Maybe my UK heritage is limiting me in understanding this? I thought the only fluid the nipples come into contact with is the break fluid. Are you talking about soaking the nipple with WD40?

Sorry if Im way missing the point here - feel free to smack me
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

What ya do is go get a spray can of PB Blaster, a penetrating lubricant. You spray the lube around the outside of the screw where it goes into the caliper or cylinder. Let the lube soak in for a day or two. Then use a six point socket or a box end wrench on the bleeder screw.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
clem

Post by clem »

My redneck English, sorry. A friend just moved here from England and we hit little language barriers all the time. I should be more clear, Tekatlarge translated well. Thanks :D
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
chucknti

Post by chucknti »

Ive always found pb blaster to work the best for me it helped me get rusted exhaust bolts out.
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

yeah, I went and got a tin and have started spraying the nipples regulary in preparation (I keep having to put off the actual event...)

I was ASTOUNDED at how quick it got the crap out! In all my time in the Scotland I never saw an off the shelf product like that....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift