What would you do

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
neb_scot

What would you do

Post by neb_scot »

So I went under the B2 tonight to start soaking the bleed nipples in preparation for working them on Friday. I made the silly mistake of having a look at the rest of the underside of the vehicle.

In short - it is RUSTED TO CRAP.

I noticed at least one supporting strut that has a huge hole in it besides all the other areas that have rusted paper thin.
The cover over the gas tank has near rusted away to NOTHING. I dare say if I pressed hard enough on the tank I could pop my fingers through it.

What are you meant to do with that - I dont have the $ to start repairing it. I can barely afford a replacement exhaust.

On top of that, one of the rear bleed nipples was already broke off, and there seems to be so little room to work there without just replacing the cylinder.

Im just left feeling like "whats the point"....

Please feel free to leave your thoughts / reasons / opinions.

I am going to try get pics asap.
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Ranger Dave

Re: What would you do

Post by Ranger Dave »

if you like the B2 in general, keep that one for a parts rig and find a nicer one. my .02
hunterh2

Post by hunterh2 »

I agree with ranger dave

If you love the thing find a new body and tranfer everything
clem

Post by clem »

I agree with Dave, but if you have a welder and do all the work yourself you may get another year out of it. I don't think wheel cylinders cost too much, just start spraying the brake line fitting now instead of the nipple. :canada: :redneck:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

I know how you feel, that's why my '88 is sitting with a bad head gasket and I went to Tenn. to pick up my '84. The wheels cylinders are inexpensive, maybe $18 for new ones. Get the rig mechanically sound and drive it until you find another. Then instead of a daily driver, use it for the abuse you don't want to give to your DD.
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

I placed an update on the situation here - http://www.broncoii4x4.com/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=3100

I would love anyone's input on the starting problem I mention here - its really beginning to annoy me....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift