to drain or not to drain coolant

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
neb_scot

to drain or not to drain coolant

Post by neb_scot »

Wanted to check in with this first before I go one way or the other.

Im just about to take 10 minutes to replace my thermostat in my B2. Every time Ive done it before on other vehicles, its just been:

- remove the housing
- swap thermostat with new one
- replace the housing (and sometimes the gasket)

the haynes manual I have says to drain the coolant first. It just seems like thats adding so much more on to the 10 minute job. Is it really needed?
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Nobody

Re: to drain or not to drain coolant

Post by Nobody »

Unfortunately, on the 2.8L the thermostat is on the lower radiator hose. So yes you will have to drain the coolant.

What symptoms do you have? Thermostats do go bad occassionally, but usually it's something else. My experience anyway.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

Nice pic RangerDave. My thermostat began getting lazy this winter and now opens up early. Still has plenty of heat though. Unfortunately I picked up all the parts to swap it out and the three bolts that hold the housing are tight. I expect that they are corroded. Was really careful and still broke the top one so I've decided it's gonna stay as it is..

Good luck on your change out. I have all the part numbers and was taking pics for you when the first bolt broke.... :mad2: stopped taking pics at that point....