C4 Adaptor to Borg Warner tcase

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
WaPaul

C4 Adaptor to Borg Warner tcase

Post by WaPaul »

I am gearing up to make the V8 change. I am rounding up all the parts, then once I have all the things needed I will start the job.

The motor setup and tranny is, 289 mustang engine and C4 transmission.

One major problem I have is the C4 hooking to the stock T case. I think I found the way around the $450+ for the adaptors. (I will post pics of the adaptor as I am building it)

I will go and buy the slip that fits over the C4 output shaft, then buy a 25 spline input shaft. Then I can cut the input shaft to the lenght I need with a 1 inch taper, then weld it full.

As for the tail housing, I can copy the end that hooks to the transmission to a 1/4 plate steel, then weld it to a round tube. Then I can take the old transmission and copy the end of the tail housing onto a plate steel and weld it to the other end of the tube.

This will allow me to keep all the running gear as is.
WaPaul

Re: C4 Adaptor to Borg Warner tcase

Post by WaPaul »

well I now know that I will spend more money trying to build my own adaptor, and if it does not work then I will be out the price of buying the right adaptor plus the 300 or so to make my own.
WaPaul

Post by WaPaul »

well now I have found the way make a spud shaft. I eamailed a guy (Tom) and he built one using the same idea that a brush hog pto shaft is built. If my 289 makes more torque than a 200 HP John Deere then I need to be worried but I think I can sleep well knowing that is not the case.

I will look for the link on the shaft and post it when I find it again.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

get a adapter yet??
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

ta save alot of head aces find a 4x4 C5 and get the housing and rear shaft from it or use the C5

housing
WaPaul

Post by WaPaul »

I have not built the adaptor yet, but I do have a pattern to follow. There is a guy on youtube that put a big block in his B2 and he made an adaptor for a turbo 350 chevy tranny to the tcase. I the idea is a copy of how the brush hog mowers PTO shaft is built.

I talked with the head man at the machine shop that does my motor work and he has built shafts using the same idea without any problems.

Here it is. Take the slip spline that goes into your cut the yoke off and then take your stock transmission shaft out of the old tranny. Machine the end of the slipe spline so its a pressed fit matching the old shaft from your old tranny. Press the 2 together, drill and put a roll pin in and weld the roll pin in place. Drill and plug weld the 2 pieces together in several spots then weld the seem all the way around the shaft and you are done. For the case, copy the tail of the old tranny and the c4 tail cone end on 3/8 or 1/4 inch plate and weld a tube (well case) weld it together and its finished.

I will look for the pics of it on youtube and post it
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

i dont think you should be welding on those hardened shafts and drill a hole in um?? my opinion, it will break
WaPaul

Post by WaPaul »

I trust the man at the machine shop. This shop has been around since the the mid sixties, and going strong today. He has done it several times, and never broke one yet. There is a myth out there that you cant work with the hardend shafts.

Tom has had this shaft in for over 1 year and beats the hell out of it. Any big block has way more torque than my little 289.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

put some boggers on that and see what breaks. for one thing the D28,7.5 and the 1350 is not gonna handle the BB, well maybe with 235's
WaPaul

Post by WaPaul »

come on Dave, not everyone is a glass half empty guy. Not everyone is a hard core off road person either. The Machine shop I work with builds race engines for drag and street as well as every day stuff. Borg warner transfer case 1350 is rated for 300 HP, it will hold up to a stock big block just fine and is doing so as of now(1 year+). There are things done with a high degree of success every day that others say cant be done. Forward thinking.

I am never going to buy any tires over 33 inch all season for my B2. My rig is a 1987 with a straight body and nice paint, it did not stay that way by off roading and ruining it. I am not racing light to light, not burning the tires off, or floating any valves so the spud shaft I make will be more than OK for my driving styles. But if I was it still would be OK, 289s put out just over 200 HP, the HiPo is 228 HP so next to the big block its nothing. Why look at the proof and say it will not work?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Borg warner transfer case 1350 is rated for 300 HP

where did you find that info???
WaPaul

Post by WaPaul »

a few places, another forum, I will not post the address of another web site on this forum. The other place is Six State out of Portland Oregon. They are a drive line / 4x4 / truck shop.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

how ya making out??
WaPaul

Post by WaPaul »

Saturday I made my shaft. I had a hell of a time drilling the holes to plug weld but after a few hours I finished drilling 4 holes, then welded the holes shut with the welder turned up about as hot as the metal would take without melting it. When I welded the to shaftes together at the top of the pressed fit the metal turned red about 1 1/2 inches down the shaft. I preheated them to 400 degrees, welded, then I wrapped them in fiberglass mats for slow cooling. This morning 18 hours after I finished the shaft it was still warm to the touch.

Over all the length will be 3 inches longer than the factory setup. I will need to add length to my front driveline, and I will use a explorer driveline in the rear. Dave does the Explorer have a cv joint in the rear driveline?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

nope, just the front but my 95 Ranger has um on both front rear