Need some tech advice plz

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bones

Need some tech advice plz

Post by Bones »

Since I am not able to get out there and wrench, (work related injury) I have to settle for surfing the net and gathering all the info I can for the up-coming engine and drive train swap in the Bronky.

This swap isn't going to be any time soon so I have tons of time to research and gather parts.

I think I have the engine swap details figured out for the most part. Until I actually start the swap.

Trannies are the hang up for me right now. I want a Ford OD auto tranny that is able to bolt onto a tcase that can be used in a doubler set-up that won't be too long to fit with the BII's shorter wheel base. This is what has been the hang up.

Eventually I want to build a doubler and this means I have limited choices for OD auto's in the Ford family. I don't want to go through the work/cost of making an OD fit and work and then have to swap it out for one that will work in a doubler set-up later on.

As far as I know I have only one choice for an OD auto that can bolt to a possible doubler set-up and that's the AOD, I hear it's a fairly long trans too, tho I'm not sure what the actual length is.

Any one know off hand what a 4wd AOD's length is? Bell to tail. I haven't looked into that yet.

From what I understand the AOD can be bolted to the np203 and doubled to the np205. I'll have to do some more searching to find out an over-all length for this combo. Unless someone on here knows?

I have a few other choices in the Ford family that are NOT OD autos.

The 4wd C6 also came in front of the np203, so a doubler later is easy.

Then there's the 4wd C4. It can be adapted to use the 1354 or 1350 tcase by using 4wd C5 auto parts. The 4wd C5 auto came in the 84-85 BII's and the 83-85 Rangers and is a fairly rare trans to locate around here. Mind you so is the 4wd C4 for that matter. The 1350/1354 have a doubler called the stubler, is there another?

The C4 also came in front of the Dana 20 tcase. I have heard about the Cold Duck kit for the Ford Dana 20, but I think it's only a low gear kit and not a doubler.

Does a Dana 20 doubler exist?

Have I missed any OD auto trannies in the Ford family that could fit the bill?

There is another route I could take, only this route isn't exactly the direction I would like to go but could potentially be fairly cheap as I have most of the parts needed.
The GM or Chevy 700R4 is a common swap for Ford guys in need of an OD auto tranny. I have a 2wd 700r4 and a th350/203 combo sitting here as well as a Ford np205. In all reality I could build the doubler to mate the 203 range box to the Ford 205 and then buy the doubler stub shaft. Actually the adapter to mate the 700 to the 5.0 is just a 3/8th plate with holes drilled in it for the 2 different bolt patterns and a matching flex plate spacer. As far as I can tell the torque converter bolt patterns match between the Ford and GM auto's around similar years. I could be wrong on that one but I feel it would be easy to adapt the 2 bolt patterns if need be. This is a last resort option IMO as I would really like to keep this Ford ALL Ford if entirely possible.

Cost and parts availability will likely be the deciding factors in the end I'm sure as I don't want to spend huge amounts of money making this all work.

Do any of you guys know of other possible directions I could go?

I really want an OD auto but could be without the OD I guess.

Has to be able to mate to a possible doubler without big dollars in adapters.

Can't be overly long as my wheel base won't allow for much more than another foot of drive train length.

I have a fm5 (?) 5 speed manual and BW 1350 tcase in the BII now (hooked behind a 4.0L V6) and they are at least a couple feet long together (trans/tcase) and my rear drive shaft is roughly 3 feet long or just under that. I also have a fw hp d44 solid axle and fw 9" rear under there too.

These are the relevant parts I have in my possession.

5.0L/M5OD/1356 combo----this combo installed in a BII makes for a 2 foot long rear drive shaft, not to mention its a manual trans and there's no doubler available and it wouldn't fit if there was.
Ford drop np205-----------extremely short and stout, came from a 79 f150 w/manual trans.
A4LD/1354 combo----------This is the V6 auto in the early Explorers and is a POS but the 1354 can handle V8 with ease.
2wd 700R4-----------------came from an 89 GM 1500.
th350/np203 combo--------came from a 79 Jimmy and has the same bolt patterns as the 700R4

If anyone has any ideas/oppinions/info/W.H.Y I would be very interested in them.

Thanks in advance
Bones
Yes my neck is red.
dirtcowboy

Re: Need some tech advice plz

Post by dirtcowboy »

I've got six right now.
#1 342/c4/atlas 4.3 Great little setup but... the brakes can't hold this rig while in 4 low!! At idle!! Very exciting. It looks like I have a few choices here. Go with a new master cylinder from an F-350 van. Put a disc brake, (parking brake) on the transfercase output with a hand operated parking brake lever. Not too expensive or difficult to do. Second choice is to toss my stock wheels, (love those alum "V" style wheels) and go to a 17" size. I can then run 13" or 14" front rotors and 12"ers out back. Great brakes but $$$$$$$. This rig has D35/4.88 and 8.8/4.88 on it. 5" Duffs/2" body lift and Perry's 3" fenders front and rear with Q-78 TSL's. He is in the shop undergoing the rustoleum/roller paint job this winter. Pretty cool stuff.

2. 342/c4/AA adapter/1350 This is my new project rig. I'm gonna try the stock, (rebuilt) trans case and see how this works. Red neck Perf in TX does my c4's, full on trannys. This rig has EB D44/Ford 9" . Duffs SAS front /Skyjacker 6" springs rear. When I'm not painting the 89 I'm working on the trackbar and the Stone Crusher steering. I looked at doublers but I don't partake in rock bashing so they really weren't needed. All of my stuff is street legal, I like to drive 'em alot. That means no FW stuff for me.

#3 ,4 and 5 are stock rigs with 2.9's and 5 speeds. #6 sucked a valve and is destined to become a parts rig.
Bones

Post by Bones »

WOW!

An Atlas would be sweet, 3.5:1 low would be great, but is way out of my price range. :(

If I come across a 4wd C4 I will certainly grab it. Even if I can't use it now, it would be very handy at some point I'm sure.

Unfortunately I'm in North-western :canada: , from Texas would be some pretty steep shipping I bet, lol.

You have quite the assortment of BII's by the sounds of it, too cool. :D

342? That's a stroker kit for the 302/5.0L right?

Yeah ours is still going to be a daily driver so I have to figure out how to cover the wheels so Johnny Law doesn't feel the need to harass us. I was thinking along the lines of building something like those tube fenders you can get for the Jeeps, only tie them directly into the frame and sliders for added strength.

Thanks for your reply Cowboy, much appreciated
Bones
Yes my neck is red.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

look for a 4x4 C5 tranny. the only rig a 4x4 C4 came in was the Early bronco
dirtcowboy wrote:I've got six right now.
#1 342/c4/atlas 4.3 Great little setup but... the brakes can't hold this rig while in 4 low!! At idle!! Very exciting. It looks like I have a few choices here. Go with a new master cylinder from an F-350 van. Put a disc brake, (parking brake) on the transfercase output with a hand operated parking brake lever. Not too expensive or difficult to do. Second choice is to toss my stock wheels, (love those alum "V" style wheels) and go to a 17" size. I can then run 13" or 14" front rotors and 12"ers out back. Great brakes but $$$$$$$. This rig has D35/4.88 and 8.8/4.88 on it. 5" Duffs/2" body lift and Perry's 3" fenders front and rear with Q-78 TSL's. He is in the shop undergoing the rustoleum/roller paint job this winter. Pretty cool stuff.

2. 342/c4/AA adapter/1350 This is my new project rig. I'm gonna try the stock, (rebuilt) trans case and see how this works. Red neck Perf in TX does my c4's, full on trannys. This rig has EB D44/Ford 9" . Duffs SAS front /Skyjacker 6" springs rear. When I'm not painting the 89 I'm working on the trackbar and the Stone Crusher steering. I looked at doublers but I don't partake in rock bashing so they really weren't needed. All of my stuff is street legal, I like to drive 'em alot. That means no FW stuff for me.

#3 ,4 and 5 are stock rigs with 2.9's and 5 speeds. #6 sucked a valve and is destined to become a parts rig.
got some pics
dirtcowboy

Post by dirtcowboy »

Yup, the 342 is a stock bore 347 stroker kit. This way I have enuff meat to rebuild the engine at least once.

As soon as I get the roller paint job done I'll toss up a pic or two. The SAS rig is a bare frame and a ton of parts right now. I've already mocked up the suspension and drilled all the mounting points. I'm in the process of boxing the frame and doing the track bar stuff so I can get it to the powdercoaters. The D44 qnd 9" are already torn down and are ready to be coated when the frame goes in.
dirtcowboy

Post by dirtcowboy »

Forgot to add I have decided to save as many BII's from the top choppers as I can. Finished chops are nice but the random butchering has to stop! :D :rolleyes2: I picked up an '85, bad engine, no rust anywhere BII in Bonners Ferry for the princely sum of $100.00. Soon as it gets nice I'll go get it, it's sitting at my daughters house. There is a nice 89 in Spokane I've called about, I've offered $1200, in these economic times there are going to be some sweet deals.