89 bronco ii wont start when warm.(has fuel and spark)

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bronco89ii

89 bronco ii wont start when warm.(has fuel and spark)

Post by bronco89ii »

ok. this problem has been driving me nuts and costing a lot of money replaceing parts that havent fixed my problem...my 89 bronco ii 2.9 v6 auto when cold it will fire right up and run great until i shut it off. it doesnt matter if its ran for 2 min or 2 hrs, but once i shut it off and go to start it, it will not fire. it turns over sounds just fine, the fuel pump turns on, it also has spark. these are all the parts ive replaced.(distributor module, throttle positioning sensor, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ignition switch, fuel filter, plugs wires, coil, fuel regulator, starter, and im sure theres more.) the only other thing i can think of is the computer. any ideas before i spennd another 100 bucks?
mitch4x4

Re: 89 bronco ii wont start when warm.(has fuel and spark)

Post by mitch4x4 »

Do you have a check engine light or anything?, also check for vacume leaks o2 sensors etc.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

so you have 40 psi when you try the second attempt at starting? Maybe the fuel pump relay isnt kicking on properly. if so you can bypass the computer controled relay and just hard wire the relay in. I did that on my 5.0 when the ecm wouldnt kick the fuel pump on.
mitch4x4

Post by mitch4x4 »

That brings up a good point, if the truck is warm the relay might not work. I know hondas are the worst for the relays getting warm then they wont work.
myonlyford

Post by myonlyford »

my mechanic always told me that if you have fuel,spark and compresion it should work.make sure you got those three and it should do somthing at least.
1986 bronco 2
1996 tahoe 2 door
1976 chevy k20--9 inches of lift,35s
1985 gmc jimmy
1990 chevy 454ss truck--lowered,built 454
88 89b2

Post by 88 89b2 »

I had the same problem with my '88. It would start every time when it was cold, but once the engine was warm it wouldn't. Turned out to be the engine coolant temperature sensor for the computer. When it goes bad it tells the computer the engine is always cold, so the computer tries to choke it, which floods it out. It's like a $15 dollar part, and it's located on the intake (if i remember correctly) on the front of the engine, under the throttle body. Good look, hope this helps.
grizz3767

Post by grizz3767 »

My Son and I bought a 86 Bii that has the same issues. There could be several things wrong without chasing your tail the best thing you can do is to get a code checker. We found that the engine coolant sensor was bad. This was located on the front of the engine next to the thermostat housing and was a pain to change as there is not much room. There is also an intake air temperature sensor that is on the side of the manifold and can cause the same issue not to mention the MAP sensor or the throttle position sensor. What i did was to buy a code checker at autozone for around 40 dollars and checked the codes once we did this we found which sensor was the faulty one and saved lots of money be not having to swap parts.
Good luck