4x4 + snow question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
neb_scot

4x4 + snow question

Post by neb_scot »

Ive never driven a 4x4 before - and up until now have only used my BII in 2 wheel mode. However, the snow is now upon us, and given the usual fun I have trying to slow down in good weather (brake + sequential drop gear changes), the notion of having to do the same in snow is not filling me with excitement. So was wondering - if I was running in 4x4, would the gear changes down, which of course slow the car down when Im not accelerating - be more effective overall? For sure thought, I could use the extra power when trying to steer - I hate rear wheel drive!

Aside from that, the instruction for 4x4 that are printed on the back of the sun visor, say not to drive in 4x4 mode on normal road surfaces. Does that include snow? sorry to ask such a dumb question but I cannot understand what the issue would be driving on a normal road in 4x4. Also, it says not to go above 45mph (may be 40) in 4x4 - I take it thats a mechanical issue and not just a suggestion (not that I would be going that fast in snow anyway...)

I dont believe the previous owner ever used 4x4 - and to be honest - at this moment I dunno if it even works. In ether case, what if anything should I look out for to indicate that using it could be a problem - I mean - obviously if it runs woohoo, but if it is in need of maintenance how would I tell... does that make sense?

Thanks any help.
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Ruffinit

Re: 4x4 + snow question

Post by Ruffinit »

First off, the only stupid questions are those you don't ask. Secondly, you would find it extremely difficult to find a serious truck or off-road vehicle of any type that is not rear wheel drive. Once you understand them, and learn to drive them, you'll be a fan..

First off, getting ready to run your 4x4, know that you can turn your front hubs "in" and run with them all winter like that. If you are running longer distances and the pavement is dry where you won't be needing the 4x4, you can always turn them "out". By running them turned in, it decreases your fuel mileage because you are now turning your front axle, but allows you to "pull" your 4x4 in at any time and really any speed. Until you pull your 4x4 in (from the driver's seat) you haven't engaged the front axle and the Bronco will operate like it normally does except the front end may feel "heavy".

When you have the hubs turned in and the 4x4 pulled in or activated (switch) your front and rear axles are virtually locked together. If you are on slippery or wet surfaces all the tires will react at the same time. This is not one of the new electronic AWD machines that transfer power to wheels that don't slip. The all slip or try to the power is give to them all at the same time... By the same token ALL the tires react to the brakes in the same way and therefore you have 4 wheels stopping which is a plus. When you upshift or downshift and are in 4x4, the wheels will attempt to all work in the same way. You don't really have to downshift by the way, the brakes will work in the same way an automatic's will.

Do not run your Bronco with the 4x4 engaged (the hubs can be) on what they define as normal pavement which means DRY. Wet is questionable. Dirt, sand, snow, ice and any of them mixed with wet is fine. You can run on any type of surface with the hubs turned in. If the pavement is mixed dry and snow, you wouldn't want to have the 4x4 engaged though. I run mine on the gravel/highway/interstate 70 miles each way every day during the winter. If it is snow/ice/wet I will run the distance in 4x4 at anything upto and including interstate speeds. It may mean running in 2wd in the slow lane (dry)and pulling it into 4x4 when in the (snowy) fast lane. This is of course done at speed.

As far as maintenance goes, you should turn your hubs in once in a while in the summer months to keep the lube flowing. When you take it in to get the oil changed, make sure that you take it to a reputable place and verify they will be checking your front and rear differential fluid, transfer case and transmission. They should also grease all the zerks. It's called a lube, oil and filter service. *These explanations are based upon the assumption that you have been driving front wheel drive cars most of your life.

Hope all that helps, if not just ask...
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

wow this is so totally the info I was needing!

a couple of further thoughts / questions -

despite being a 1984 model, it has automatic hubs (!). The selector stick for the wheels has, of course, from top to bottom -

2H
4H
N
4L

now when I received the B2 it was in - and always has been since - in the 2H position. (I get the impression that the previous owner did not either use or understand the cars potential)

My question is this - is it the case with the auto hubs, the since the selector is in the 2H position, that its the same as the hubs being 'in' - meaning I can go in and out of 4x4 as needed? If that selector is in Neutral, is that the same as the hubs being 'out'?

If the answer is yes to that, is it there any gas consumption difference between running in 2H or N?

Im sorry for all the rookie questions - your time is greatly appreciated...
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

The answere to your first questions is yes essentialy with auto hubs your hubs are always "in" meaning they will automatically lock "in" when you put the shifter in the 4H postition. To your second question the "N" postion on your 4x4 shifter means that the transfer case will go into neutral and since the transfer case is behind the transmission it will put all four wheels in neutral, so even if the transmission is in drive, if the transfer case is in neutral you will NOT go anywhere. The transfer case neutral postion would only be used for towing your Bronco to prevent your transmission from turning and causing damage.

I strongly suggest waiting for a good amount of snow(a couple inches or more) and finding an big empty parking lot where you can mess around with the four wheel drive and get a comfortable feel for the snow and how your Bronco will react to braking and downshifting in both two-wheel and four-drive. People can tell you how to drive and you can read on how to handle snow but nothing beats even a little experience. I learned how to drive in the snow in a '66 Mustang with a 302 with bald tires so I learned some valuable lessons very fast, you are lucky to have a four wheel drive but remember 4x4 does not mean you can drive normal in the snow and ice.
And on the 8th day God created beer.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

ok so that means then that I still have to disengage 4x4 when I want to go back to 2H - I mean, say I was traveling down a highway and saw some bad snow on the corner. I slow down go to 4H to get through it. After its clear and I want to go back to 2H, do I then have to stop the car and reverse 10 ft (or go in the opposite direction for that matter) as the disengaging instructions say? Is that the normal mode of operation....?

Sorry to be a dumb ass here - I keep getting the wrong idea about how it works....
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

I know with my Bronco I can put it in and out of 4x4 anytime I want to and at any speed so you should be fine to just take it in and out.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

Ok. Thanks for you time explaining this - I feel a lot more prepared now.
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

No problem and don't ever be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are dumb, most people don't learn stuff like this on there own entirely. Everyone that can answer these kind of questions have had someone teach them along the way and most people are more than willing to share what they know.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

Glad to be of assistance and glad you got your questions answered. One last thing to be aware of is that because you have automatic hubs, just like most of the 4x4s these days; when you engage your four wheel drive (4H) it will NOT engage the front wheels for 10 to 15 feet. Here's an example of what this could mean to you:

My son-in-law has a Grand Cherokee (Dodges have auto-locking hubs). We were at the store in a large parking lot that exits on a slight incline. We stopped to pull into the lane and there was a 2" thick patch of ice that extended about 50' in all directions that we were on top of. The Jeep couldn't move. The ice was so polished that there was absolutely no traction, so the rear wheels only spun. He tried to put it in 4x4, but because you need 10-15' for it to engage, there we were, STUCK in a parking lot. We ended up getting the people behind us to move so that he could back up to get the hubs to engage and then we were able to make forward movement. So get into the forward thinking frame of mind; IF you think you may need it, pull it in before you do.

If you want to be able to put it into 4x4 on the fly you need to ensure all four tires are the SAME, otherwise you could end up throwing yourself into a situation resulting in shelling the xfr case or wrecking the Bronco.

Last item. You MUST be at a dead stop in order to put your BII into or take it out of 4L
neb_scot

Post by neb_scot »

again as always(!) - thanks for the info....

so as it takes 10 -15 foot to engage the 4x4, presumably I still have to go through that to disengage the 4x4 - IE reversing etc.

The weather is a lot better just now for my BII and I am enjoying it while it lasts.
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

I haven't had a chance to drive one with auto locking hubs, so I don't know what it takes to disengage, all you may have to do is drop it from 4H to 2H and back off the throttle to get it out. I will have to let someone who knows those specific hubs to answer that.
grizz3767

Post by grizz3767 »

Great info on this post and I would like to add one more item i have learned when driving in snow or ice. 4WD does not mean 4WSTOP. Being locked in will give you over confidence so remember when driving on slick roads or in bad weather give yourself more time and be prepared to slow down further in advance.
You can drive in lot more places in 4WD but i guarantee you will also get a lot more stuck. lol
Forgive the grammer.

Good luck
Grizz