Brakes & 4X4 questions

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
neb_scot

Brakes & 4X4 questions

Post by neb_scot »

OK so Im still in process of cleaning up my Bronco, and I need some advice on the brakes. I think I may have mentioned that the fluid inside inside the system is unbelievably black, so Im thinking it needs flushed out.

I tested the "emergency stop" capability yesterday, and its really nerve racking. It does stop...eventually. But more worrying was that the brake pedal since has taken more pumping to get it to impact the cars speed. I checked the fluid levels since the testing and its still full. I also checked under the car for any suspect leaks but everything seems clear. Beyond replacing shoes and pads, would anyone be able to explain the change in pedal pressure? Not a mechanic here so Im desperate to understand.

The other question I have - according to manufacturing notes on the car, changing to 4 wheel drive involves locking the front hubs. I was checking this out and was kinda confused because the mechanism you "turn" (I presume thats what you do) to engage the wheels has the word "automatic" clearly printed on it. Any chance the 4X4 could have been modded to allow for changing using only the selector stick inside? Im just a newbie here to the stuff, so please go easy on me if Im being dumb.
1984 Ford Bronco II
2.8 v6 Engine
Manual Shift 5 speed
4 inch suspension lift
MrD

Re: Brakes & 4X4 questions

Post by MrD »

My 84 has automatic hubs with a 5spd. Shift into 4 high or low and see if the 4x4 dash light lights up showing "4x4". All I do is stop put it neutral, push in the clutch shift the manual transfer case, put in 1st and drive away.

hope this helps