whats wrong with my transmission?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
1986_bronco2_4x4

whats wrong with my transmission?

Post by 1986_bronco2_4x4 »

hello i have an 86 bronco 2 with the stock 2.9. it sat for a few years and when i got it running the trans wouldnt do anything.. you can shift it into whatever gear you want and you get nothing... its an automatic by the way. oh and it wont roll without the rear wheels spinning opposite ways and will it be ok to put a trans out of an 85 with a 2.8? will it be a direct bolt on?
vabronconut

Re: whats wrong with my transmission?

Post by vabronconut »

1986_bronco2_4x4 wrote:hello i have an 86 bronco 2 with the stock 2.9. it sat for a few years and when i got it running the trans wouldnt do anything.. you can shift it into whatever gear you want and you get nothing... its an automatic by the way. oh and it wont roll without the rear wheels spinning opposite ways and will it be ok to put a trans out of an 85 with a 2.8? will it be a direct bolt on?

did it run ok before you let it sit? if so the tranny is probably varnished. change fluid and filter and if that doesn't work take the valve body out and clean it with carb cleaner and new gaskets. sounds like one of the check balls are stuck or sticking. as far as the 2.9, 2.8 transmissions i do not know if they are interchangable
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
1986_bronco2_4x4

thanks and one more thing to add... when i put it in reverse it did try to budge just a little i dont know of that means anything because im not very farmiliar with automatic transmissions
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

1986_bronco2_4x4 wrote:thanks and one more thing to add... when i put it in reverse it did try to budge just a little i dont know of that means anything because im not very farmiliar with automatic transmissions

even better, definetly sounds like a fluid problem, varnished valve body or filter. try the filter and fluid think you will get it to work with just a filter change, also add some trans fluid detergent, run it though all the gears if it starts pulling in some gears after the filter change then keep working the tranny then when all gears engage change filters again.
1986_bronco2_4x4

thanks! ill be sure to try it and get back with you guys on what happens. i really hope this fixes it because im trying to stay on a tight budget...
1986_bronco2_4x4

ok this is going to make me sound very stupid but how do i go about changing the filter?... ive never delt with a ford or an automatic
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

its easy, on the bottom of the tranny there is a oilpan with bolts all the way around it. take all the bolts out except two at the very front but loosen these just one or two turns. gently pry the pan away from the trans at the opposite end of the pan to let the fluid out, there will probably be about 4-9 qts that will come out so have a good size bucket. when the fluid is done pouring out take the last two bolts out, take off the pan and you will see the filter, it usually has two or three bolts holding it on. then when you get it back together fill the tranny to the cold line on the dip stick start the truck, and add fluid to work the tranny in different gears untill they catch. when the tranny is warmed up check the fluid again and add as needed. then drive it around the block a couple of times come back and check the fluid again. i would have about 9 qts of trans fluid on hand for the job. i think a filter change will only dump like 4 to 5 quarts but i have had trannys dump more so better safe than sorry.
1986_bronco2_4x4

hey im just keepin yall updated the trans is gone except reverse.. my buddy offered me a deal i cant rrefuse so bye bye 86 bronco... ill be tradin for an 85 b2 that acutally runs!!! :D