tips & pointers needed before I buy a lift kit.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
MrD

tips & pointers needed before I buy a lift kit.

Post by MrD »

Hi to all,
Well I am very close to the point of purchasing tires.
I have been running with a used set of 31x 10.50 x 15 BF Mud terrains.

The tires are rubbing slightly on the front fenders, but are so worn it is not bad.

Before I start my next project:
2" bodylift I was looking for suggestions on how difficult this project might be.

I have been to several off road shops:
1st one you don't want a body lift yada yada :eek:

2nd one to install one we charge $400-500 and if we run into a difficult bolt
we charge more.... :wtf:

What I find funny is that once I mention it is an 84 Ford Bronco II I get blank stares
:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Yes I know it is not a Jeep ...

thanks-Kelly
vabronconut

Re: tips & pointers needed before I buy a lift kit.

Post by vabronconut »

lol you mean you broke from the crowd and didn't buy a jeep???? what the hell were you thinking???

look body lifts are fine, not the best if you are in a accident but don't wreck and you wont have to worry about it.

allot of 4 wheel guys don't like body lifts because it makes the truck a little more top heavy. plus allot of them only believe you should lift with suspension.

and some don't like the body lifts because of the gaps they leave.

if you buy a body lift get one with the bumper brackets, if you don't you will have a jacked up looking gap between the bumper and body. someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe i have heard that you can use the existing bumper brackets and just turn them upside down and it lifts the bumper to the right place.

ford actually installed a 2"body lift on some models i hear and i heard it was factory.

ok for difficulty- if you can change your own tire, you can do this. it is more phsyical labor than know how. there are 10 bolts holding the body to the frame, they all have to come out and that is the hardest thing, they are usually frozen and require allot of effort to get them out, plus you have to pull the carpeting in the cab to get to most of them. only things that you need to do if its a automatic you have to lengthen the shift lever, all of them double check your steering arm to make sure it extended and not bound up, watch closely to make sure wires and fuel lines are not streched, and raise the bumpers. i would definetly get a friend to help when your ready to lift the body up to insert the pucks. saftey buddy, its not worth lossing a hand over.

one last thing, i have seen body lifts installed with the body bushings present, i would never do this personally, but this is just my opinion. the bushings will allow the pucks to lean and put allot of stress on the the through bolt.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
clem

Post by clem »

Make sure you lenthen your fuel filler hose, and make sure EVERTHING is either long enough or disconnected. There is nothing wrong with a body lift just as long as you know what it is, ie; not more suspention travel and such.
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

Fender trimming would be alot more attractive then a body lift, serve the same purpose, and be alot cheaper and easier. Th eonly thing I dont like about a body lift is the gap and the frame shows alot more.
For your BII, you can get coil spacers for the front and a 2" block for the rear. It would be about the same price but alot more useful.
BroncoOn33s

Post by BroncoOn33s »

dont for get about you fan shroud
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

kelly-

did you figure out what your going to do with it yet?
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
MrD

Post by MrD »

Tom and others thanks for the suggestions.

I decided to work on other things for now:

today's trip to wrecking yard:
newer drivers side seat better than the one that I have with the broken back ($50)

found a chrome brush guard that I need to clean up and install ($25)

I didn't know if when Pic a Parts gives you a price if that is what you must pay.

The 31's I am riding on are used old tires I got with the rims so I thought for now I will ride them for another few weeks, the rubbing is not that bad yet.

Laters-Kelly