2wd conversion

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
88budget4X4

2wd conversion

Post by 88budget4X4 »

id like to convert my 88 4wd bronco to 2wd.. what all is entailed in the process. ive never even seen a bII that was 2wd but i wasnt looking so yea. a big question i have is with the transfer case and trani.. whats the difference. what am i gonna be picking up at the junk yard to make this all work. and will my 3in skyjacker lift still work?
vabronconut

Re: 2wd conversion

Post by vabronconut »

88budget4X4 wrote:id like to convert my 88 4wd bronco to 2wd.. what all is entailed in the process. ive never even seen a bII that was 2wd but i wasnt looking so yea. a big question i have is with the transfer case and trani.. whats the difference. what am i gonna be picking up at the junk yard to make this all work. and will my 3in skyjacker lift still work?
if you leave the front axle on the truck, then you can leave the lift on. but why would you want to convert it to 2wd if you want to keep the lift? any ranger transmission will work that came from a 2.9l. i think a 3.0l will work also
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
onewyr

Post by onewyr »

Most of the 2wd broncoII's came with a dummy transfer case so look for a dummy case and that way your rear driveshaft can stay the same. then you will need the factory drop brackets and front beams with the spindles. no your lift kit will not work with the 2wd bream. My question is why do you want to do a 2wd conversion and keep the lift on it
http://www.wefabricateit.com check this site out and help us build it up
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

really all you have to do to make it 2wd is to take off the front drive shaft- depends on how easy you want to make it. removing the front dshaft and replacing the transmission if thats what you want to do will make it full time 2wd. if you are wanting to get rif of the t-case shifter in the cab, you can just saftey wire the shifter in the 2wd position and remove the handle and close the floor up.

normally when asking something like you did i would assume that you want to drop the truck to make it a low rider, but you asked if you could keep the lift? what in the world are you builiding.

also if you don't want the diff case for the front but want to keep the a-arms, you can drop out the pumkin, remove the inner shafts at the u joints and it would work.
onewyr

Post by onewyr »

BroncoII's don't have A arms they have beams
http://www.wefabricateit.com check this site out and help us build it up
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

onewyr wrote:BroncoII's don't have A arms they have beams
thanks for the terminolgy correction
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey there 88budget4X4.

Where the heck ya located at? I have all the 2wd stuff you would need.
:cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
88budget4X4

Post by 88budget4X4 »

im located in southern CA.

well to answer everyones questions on why i would want to convert to 2wd is i want to make it pre-runner style. and for what ever reason 4wd dosent strike me as ideal.

but then i was driving my city truck around burning time and i spotted a 4X4 ranger all pre-runnered out and saw how easily he made the front coilover with the IFS setup so ive decided to keep the 4wd.

i dont know if many people on here have tried to make there bronco II pre-runner or anything other then slow trail riders. but im doing it. it will have coilovers front and rear in time. im going to start with the front because its just so simple to do.