'89 BII 2.9 lifter-tick at cold startup.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
KD1977

'89 BII 2.9 lifter-tick at cold startup.

Post by KD1977 »

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and have just purchased a cherry '89 Bronco II 4x4 with a 2.9L, 67,000 original miles. As you might guess it was owned by a little old lady that lived across the street and generally only used to putter around town in and the occasional beach trip. I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb and the only thing it really needs is a float for the fuel pump assembly because the gas gauge is reading empty at all times.

But other than that I've noticed a marked lifter-ticking at cold startups. It clears up just as soon as the oil shoots up there, but after all I've read about 2.9's and their troubles with upper cylinder lubrication I'm a little concerned with this. I'd like to keep this truck for a long time. After the owner passed away the truck was inherited by her son and while still very well maintained, it sat seeing little usage for some time. It was started and driven occasionally but by no means daily or weekly(I think).

Overall I think I got a tremendous deal on this B II but want to do what I can to make it last & perform.

-20w50?

-Lucas Oil Treatment?

-STP Oil Treatment?

-Shut up, stop whining, don't sweat the small stuff?

Thanks!
-KD
vabronconut

Re: '89 BII 2.9 lifter-tick at cold startup.

Post by vabronconut »

the tick is just the lifter needing time to pump up with fluid. nothing major a new set of lifters will cure it
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
KD1977

Post by KD1977 »

Nothing major?

And what am I gonna be in for if I let it ride as is?
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

KD1977 wrote:Nothing major?

And what am I gonna be in for if I let it ride as is?
eventually you need to replace it but for now it will be ok. the spring is weak in the lifter itself and the long term you will hear it tap more and more until you get allot of rattle from the push rod.
KD1977

Post by KD1977 »

This a result of not being driven often?
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

KD1977 wrote:This a result of not being driven often?

more than likely if it sat unrun for a long time the lifter would bleed down.
clem

Post by clem »

Sounds like the result of being a 2.9L. I know people who run there 2.9's like this for years,including myself. A little Lucas helps but as the oil gets old you'll hear it come back. Drive it like you stole it!!! :redneck: :canada:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
88budget4X4

Post by 88budget4X4 »

yea mine does this aswell... i just give it the old "rev the hell out of it till it shuts up ford trick" lol.. just kidding but yea nothing big. cruise it till it blows motors are dirt cheap these days.
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

I purchased a dailey driver and only drove my Bronco once a week until I start working on it. Its been about 4 months and is now doing what you are describing. I know its because it doesnt get driven enough. It goes away after I rev and warm it up a bit. I plan on finishing my suspension first and when then motor goes throw in a v8.
skfury440

Post by skfury440 »

Yeah almost all 2.9's have a tick. Think of it as the lifeline of your rig. When the tick stops the life is gone. I use Lucas Oil in the engine, Lucas Gas Treatment in the tank, Lucas Tranny Fluid in the A4LD, everything I have is Lucas oil and I swear by it. I drove my last A4LD for months (after the trans shop said it would blow up) with Lucas oil and didn't ever go out on me. Lucas P/S fluid stopped my leak there, etc. I love all their stuff.
'86 BII
'64 Tbird 428P.I. Full Restoration
'66 Sport Fury 383 4-Speed Car
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

skfury440 wrote:Yeah almost all 2.9's have a tick. Think of it as the lifeline of your rig. When the tick stops the life is gone. I use Lucas Oil in the engine, Lucas Gas Treatment in the tank, Lucas Tranny Fluid in the A4LD, everything I have is Lucas oil and I swear by it. I drove my last A4LD for months (after the trans shop said it would blow up) with Lucas oil and didn't ever go out on me. Lucas P/S fluid stopped my leak there, etc. I love all their stuff.

you own stock in them too???
Godzilla9992

Post by Godzilla9992 »

I too am a big fan of Lucas treatments, but "mechanic in a can" never lasts forever. As far as the lifter noise, it would most likely run fine with that forever, till something else gives up anyway.
FORD....no other has so many acronyms.
KD1977

Post by KD1977 »

Gee thanks everybody. Apparently I need to find this Lucas fella and give him my life savings.

Kidding! :D

But seriously, thanks for all the replies.

So far the tick is much less prominent if I start it each day. If it sits for a few days, seems to be much more pronounced. I put some STP Oil Treatment in there just for good measure until then next oil change. I know it's nothing particularly special but I have seen the STP goop quiet a sticky lifter or two on everything from an old 302 to a 5-banger in an Audi Wagon. We'll see how it does but I'm definitely gonna try the Lucas stuff the next time around.
skfury440

Post by skfury440 »

vabronconut wrote: you own stock in them too???
You betcha.

STP seems pretty good, my gramps likes STP. I used their injector cleaner when I got the rig and mine was such a pile I didn't really notice anything. Now that it's much healthier it probably would be pretty good, except I'm already using Lucas Injector Cleaner gas treatment stuff. Any kind of oil additive will help it. Mine is also worse when it hasn't been ran in a few days. It should go away once it's warmed up though, mine does.
'86 BII
'64 Tbird 428P.I. Full Restoration
'66 Sport Fury 383 4-Speed Car
KD1977

Post by KD1977 »

Yeah I think everyone's Gramps liked the good 'ole STP products. I'm surprised my family doesn't own stock---my Grandfather & Uncles have run a service station since 1968. Not even to mention my folks used to follow Nascar up & down the east coast and they were die-hard Richard Petty fans. Heh.

The only STP Gasoline additive that I've ever seen real marked results with was the STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the larger silver bottle. It was always a bit harder to find, ie; the parts stores didn't stock it but Wal Mart or K Mart would. Ran about ten bucks or so. Basically like the name implies it's designed to clean everything--"cleans fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves and ports, combustion chambers, cylinder heads and piston tops." I used this stuff religiously in an '86 Buick Regal with a 5.0L Olds 307 V8 that had a rich running problem that I could never figure out. Replaced all vacuum lines, multiple diagnostics, twice rebuilt the 4-barrel carb. So much carbon build-up that the valves would tick constantly, especially when accelerating. Damned thing sounded like a diesel! Eventually the carbon it was blowing got so bad it clogged my catalytic converter. Needless to say I just punched it out. But to maintain the engine I would used the STP Cleaner two or three times a year and the clackity-diesel sound would subside for awhile. Despite it's problems the engine kept running strong until the day I donated it to Hope House thrift with sagging doors, a spent reverse in the tranny and a no longer tilting steering wheel! :eek: