New to me 84 with side pic

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
MrD

New to me 84 with side pic

Post by MrD »

Well I figured I would buy a carb setup instead of fuel injected.

84 B2, 5 spd with overdrive, XLT no pwr windows/locks

Now I am trying to learn a lot & have lots to do.

So far I :
recharged the a/c and it works (live in vegas desert)

changed the fuel filter, which was fun as once I disconnected the fuel line, the fuel filter
would turn and turn but not come loose from the carb. Good thing for vise grips.

New pvc, air cleaner and 1 can of carb cleaner.

On the test drive it ran good, when I picked it up and drove home it died on me 3 times before I did the above.

I figured put in premium fuel and try and take it for a drive.

This afternoon when it was about 105 I tried to get on the hgwy to clean everything out.

I made it to the light to get onto the hgwy about 5 mins from the house. As I was slowing down for the light I started my downshifting, when it was time to take off the bronc died and didn't want to start.

It would turn over and tried to start, I waited about a min tried again and the bronc fired up.
I turned around and went home.

Again this evening, still 103 at 8:30 p.m.

Got her on the hgwy she ran fine for 10 mins, I had to slow down for a light as I came into another town. I turned the a/c from high fan to low fan and then she died out like the rpm's were too low. Immediatley tried to start her: acted like it was flooded. I waited a couple mins then she fired up.

On the way home at a light she died when I tried to give her gas to take off.

got 2 guys to push me into a parking lot waited 5 mins and after several tries she fired up with me having the gas pedal slightly pressed down. I had a big hill to climb that semis usually struggle with. To my suprise she pulled the hill awesome and ran fine for another 10 mins.

I was exiting the hgwy did the down shifting thing took my turn in 2nd she did a little stumble and died. I was coasting put her in first and popped the clutch and she started. the rest of the way home when I would take a trun in 2nd gear she ran very rough, if I put her in first in the home development where I live she ran better.

I gave $800 for this nice bronc and thus far she has not left me stranded, but I would like her to run better.

Suggestions? The person I bought it from had a new fuel pump in a box in the backseat that he never said anything about..... :eek:

laters Kelly

vabronconut

Re: New to me 84 with side pic

Post by vabronconut »

MrD wrote:Well I figured I would buy a carb setup instead of fuel injected.

84 B2, 5 spd with overdrive, XLT no pwr windows/locks

Now I am trying to learn a lot & have lots to do.

So far I :
recharged the a/c and it works (live in vegas desert)

changed the fuel filter, which was fun as once I disconnected the fuel line, the fuel filter
would turn and turn but not come loose from the carb. Good thing for vise grips.

New pvc, air cleaner and 1 can of carb cleaner.

On the test drive it ran good, when I picked it up and drove home it died on me 3 times before I did the above.

I figured put in premium fuel and try and take it for a drive.

This afternoon when it was about 105 I tried to get on the hgwy to clean everything out.

I made it to the light to get onto the hgwy about 5 mins from the house. As I was slowing down for the light I started my downshifting, when it was time to take off the bronc died and didn't want to start.

It would turn over and tried to start, I waited about a min tried again and the bronc fired up.
I turned around and went home.

Again this evening, still 103 at 8:30 p.m.

Got her on the hgwy she ran fine for 10 mins, I had to slow down for a light as I came into another town. I turned the a/c from high fan to low fan and then she died out like the rpm's were too low. Immediatley tried to start her: acted like it was flooded. I waited a couple mins then she fired up.

On the way home at a light she died when I tried to give her gas to take off.

got 2 guys to push me into a parking lot waited 5 mins and after several tries she fired up with me having the gas pedal slightly pressed down. I had a big hill to climb that semis usually struggle with. To my suprise she pulled the hill awesome and ran fine for another 10 mins.

I was exiting the hgwy did the down shifting thing took my turn in 2nd she did a little stumble and died. I was coasting put her in first and popped the clutch and she started. the rest of the way home when I would take a trun in 2nd gear she ran very rough, if I put her in first in the home development where I live she ran better.

I gave $800 for this nice bronc and thus far she has not left me stranded, but I would like her to run better.

Suggestions? The person I bought it from had a new fuel pump in a box in the backseat that he never said anything about..... :eek:

laters Kelly

its vapor locking. its too hot for it out there in vegas. try re routing the fuel line away from the exhaust and engine as much as possible and if you can leave it wide open away from anything that might trap hot air around it. if you can also run it where the engine fan air passes over it.

i would stop by a local speed shop and ask what they do for their muscle cars that have carbs to kkep them from vapor locking
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas