94 2.3 liter ranger question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
ledfordwc

94 2.3 liter ranger question

Post by ledfordwc »

i know this isn't a bronco question but surely their is someone on here that knows.

i've got a 94 ranger 2.3 liter 4 banger and its got about 19 horsepower i'm going to have to put a clutch in it before too long, my question is how big of a deal is it to swap in a 4.0 because i have a 4.0 that runs good and when i tear it down to put the clutch in it, if its not a huge undertaking, i was thinking about swapping in the 4.0 at the same time, if not does anyone know any tricks to get just a little bit more horsepower out of the 2.3
89 bronco II stock almost 300,000 miles 4th motor gotta love those 2.9s
83 S10 blazer 383 stroker (almost show truck)
vabronconut

Re: 94 2.3 liter ranger question

Post by vabronconut »

the 4.0l swap is very easy from every article i have read. rangers and broncoii's are the exactly the same mechaniclly so you did ask at the right place. there are a ton of 4.0 varients some sohc, some pushrod, and the modifications through the years is nearly endless, so i hope you have everything from the donor car. i have the 4.0 in my 00 explorer its a sohc and i love that engine, but i am a v8 guy at heart so for my swap i used the 302 (personal opinion only) the tranny may not bolt up though ( don't hold me to that though) i THINK the 4.0 used a different tranny, but those are cheap and very easy to find. a great resource for your swap is www.therangerstation.com they have a tech section with articles on this. you might even get lucky and be able to use the exhaust system out of the donor vehicle if you lengthen the pipe in front of the muffler. wiring should be plug and play, change the eec, radiator will have to be changed for the bigger motor but they go new on ebay all day long for about $80. what did you get the 4.0 out of ?
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas