AC pulls hard on alternator

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
btully

AC pulls hard on alternator

Post by btully »

My BII's AC works ok as Im driving down the road but when I stop at a light my volt gauge goes from about 13-14 to about 10 or less; and the AC fan barely blows. Im not sure if this is normal; or if not, how I would go about fixing the problem. Even my blinker makes my volts go up and down (very slightly though). Does anyone have any ideas that might help? I've had to change the alternator twice since Ive had the truck, and the problem still remains. I am completly in the dark when it comes to electrical issues.
greenmachine89

Re: AC pulls hard on alternator

Post by greenmachine89 »

Check the fan that blows in the cab that might be going out. You voltage gauge will move when things are on but if everything slows down then something is taking too much power!
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
Bob Myers

Re: AC pulls hard on alternator

Post by Bob Myers »

Sounds like alternator has issues. Have it checked to see if the amperage output is within specs. If the amperage output is low it will fluctuate the voltage output drastically.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy