Quick suspension question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
morlhug

Quick suspension question

Post by morlhug »

I need to stiffen up the rear suspension on my 84 BII. What is a cheap easy way to do that? I am moving cross country soon and i will have my bike in the back with a small freezer and I will be towing a small trailer, I really don't want the back end dragging the whole way, and the stock suspension is a little squishy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Finally have a BII to build again!
stevenf

Re: Quick suspension question

Post by stevenf »

Explorer leaf springs from a junk yard would be the easiest and cheapest route. They are a little stiffer and they add about 1.5-2" of lift so it will help level it out with the trailer.
greenmachine89

Post by greenmachine89 »

The problem with explorer springs is they only lift if your b2 is sagging if not there is no real change in height but you will get a stiffer ride. Some people run air shocks :redneck: to help a bit. When I first got my 89 b2 the guy before me put in a thicker center leaf and that lifted the rear to stock height and made the ride alot stiffer.
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
morlhug

Post by morlhug »

This is just temporary, the truck is going to get lifted, different axles, and 31" tires before it is all said and done. I just need it to make it to my next duty station pulling a trailer.
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

The leaf springs from explorers are stiffer which will come in handy while towing the trailer. To fit 31" tires, just put 2" coil spacers in the front and 2" shackles or blocks in the back.
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

go to autozone, they sell helper springs for like $30 to $40 they will give you a stiffer ride for pulling. plus they are really easy to install.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
88budget4X4

Post by 88budget4X4 »

ive got the air shocks off my bronco II... there yours for 75 bucks... plus shipping
morlhug

Post by morlhug »

To finish off that story, the Bronco sheared the head off of the crank shaft on that trip. It has been sitting in Las Vegas since then, I've been moved to New Mexico. I'm finally getting the Bronco project started, though now it's going to be a daily driver. Still swapping axles and putting a 4.0 from an Exploder in/under it. Then I'll be driving it every day back and forth to work.
Mosinman76254

Post by Mosinman76254 »

In this post someone had typed about using explorer leafs... that would be first gen right?
I have an 89 B2 4WD, 2.9 w/5 speed that's sagging already even though I put new leafs under it 3 years ago. The right side is worse, about a 1/2" more.
My biggest problem is that it is rocking that bad that it's actually affecting the steering! Just a simple crown on the road makes it rock. I even tried adding the monroe spring assist shocks, that helped some but it's still frustrating to drive. Take note that that the front end is tight, I know it's not coming from there cuz I rebuilt everything including the drive train this summer however the springs are still OE. The rear stabilizer bar isn't bent, the links are tight so I don't know how to address this problem. This is my DD and my only vehicle. Being it's a short wheelbase is screwing me up trying to figure out where the body roll is coming from. With the spring assist shocks it just should not be allowing it to move like that so I think maybe it's the front letting it move, again I don't know. Anyone wanna throw any ideas at me please do so. I've been told that it could be the front coils. It was said to me that even though the vehicle height is ok the ability of the coil to hold that weight could be comprimised. I don't understand that idea cuz if any spring is weak shouldn't it sag?
Thanks for any info in advance, you have no idea how frustrating this thing is to drive.
Also it has 181k on it.