My '89 B2 Project

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
Phillippi

Re: My '89 B2 Project

Post by Phillippi »

I wish I had all your free time. I have stuff just sitting bured under boxes in my garage waiting for my attention....

Keep up the work. Its starting to pay off.
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

Making good progress! What type of axles do you plan to run under it? Future engine swap in mind?
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Future plans for a D44 front SAS or maybe TTB just for ease of installation and an 8.8 or a 9 inch in the rear it depends on how much my friend wants for the 9". Someday I would like to put a GM 5.3l with a 4L60E and a Dana 300 under it but thats a long ways away. Or I might just stay with the 2.8 until it's toast at least then I won't have an excuse not to upgrade it. If I do the SAS it will get full width axles. I have even more time than I put into the Bronco it's just a lack of money that keeps me from getting the parts I need but that should all be solved here in the next couple of days. I also have to spend some time with my 6 month old daughter and wife.
And on the 8th day God created beer.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Well the relays were giving my too much trouble and I didn't feel like dealing with them so I added another single filiment bulb to the tail lights to hook my brakes up to and all my lights work great now. I think I've got all the exhaust leaks done and hopefully the bars leak cured my radiator if not I'll just go pull one from a 4.0 Ranger and that will cure it. As soon as my wife gets back from the store I'm taking the Bronco out for a good half hour trip at least just to make sure everything is working good and if so I'll be driving this thing everyday at least until I start doing some real work to it.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I took it downtown today and aside from the 150 degree air coming in through the floor at the shifter it's not too bad another trip to the junk yard for a shift boot will fix that. Today I'm going to teach myself how to adjust valves so I can try and quiet this thing down so that will be a fun experiment for me. Other than that it runs smooth I know the bushing on the suspension are probably shot I dont remember this thing ever being this rough but they have had quite a while to dry out so I'll fix that when I lift it and put new axles under it. I also think I'm going to try something different with a chop top on this thing someday I think I'm going to remove the rear door and relocate it to the front so I can still remove the door and put a seat in the rear it should look pretty good when it's done but that again is a ways off in the future.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I got the vavles adjusted it's amazing how much noise those things can make what a huge difference I can actually hear the exhaust now. So this thing is now my daily driver hopefully I don't run into any problems with with it but I'm sure thats just bound to happen. I think the only thing left is to figure out the choke I think I might just go manual or try to figure something out to make the electric choke work.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

All you need for your electric choke is a switched 12 vols source. Look at you wiring and find a wire that is + 12V with key on and 0V when key is off.

Hook that wire to the choke terminal.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Thanks thats easy enough since all the wiring is my own creation.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Had a good trip to the junk yard today I got a spare tire carrier, a passenger seat, two door panels, shifter boots, an oil pressure gauge, and 4 33X9.50R15 BFG A/T with about have of the tread left on them mounted on wagon style steel wheels with a pretty good offset all for under 200 bucks. I put the tires on and they look sweet even without a lift on it so I'm going to trim the fenders and get some springs for it and see where that gets me. I'm going to be taking it out on Aug. 2nd and hopefully I can get through the day without breaking anything.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Hey if you need D28 parts and other various stuff for your B2 let me know. I am in American Fork south of you and I have a bunch of stuff that I really should get rid of. I am tired of the stuff sitting in my garage.
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Well I'm heading down there Aug. 2nd for the U4WDA Summer Convention So I think I will hit you up on that stuff because I'm bound to break this thing I will let you know as it gets closer. What all do you have?

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I have spare d28 axles (at least one set), I have a wire harness for a 2.9L, I might have some hubs, shocks, and whatever else I can find. The stuff I have, I stripped and gathered while I was busting stuff wheelin Moab over about 12 years. Now I no longer have a 2.9L or D28. Hopefully soon I will be selling my 7.5" rear with detroit and 4.56 gears. I just need to find a cheap 3rd member for a small bearing 9" first...
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

the 2.9l parts won't do me any good since I don't have the 2.9 any more but the axles and other parts would sure be nice to have on the trail with me you never know when you are gonna break an axle. I'd hit you up on the 7.5 but if I'm going to swap a rear end I might as well toughen it up.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Got the power steering bracket and pump this weekend and a harmonic balancer since the one I had did not have a slot for the belt for the power steering. I changed the balancer and got the power steering all hooked up and it works great. I also got a three gauge cluster for volts, oil and water and got all that hooked up and this things will idle at 190 with it being 90 out side for a good extended period so it's cooling good. My next problem now is the seal around the harmonic balancer started leaking so now I have to replace that(get to pull the radiator again to get the balancer off yay) once that is fixed it should be good to go for the summer convention on the 2nd.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I just read up on how to replace the seal and wow this is really going to suck I guess I'll put a post up on the bronco tech forum for any tips or advice on an easier way to do this.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71