1984 Bronco II

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
morlhug

1984 Bronco II

Post by morlhug »

I have a 1984 Bronco II, that I am going to build over the next few years. I am gathering parts right now, and once I have what I need I am going to do an engine swap, tranny and transfer case swap, and possibly new axles if I need them. Now for the questions. Which motor should I use? The 3.3 or the 4.0? I know that the 4.0 will have more power, but what kind of fuel economy does it have compared to the 3.3? Tranny and transfer case, wow, I don't know much about this part at all. What should I put in this thing? I would prefer a 5-speed, but I don't absolutely need to have one. As far as axles go, it won't ever be a rock crawling buggy, I am going to drive it everyday. It is going to get a 2 inch suspension lift (who should I go with for the lift?) and 30" tires. Most of my wheeling occurs in the mountains of Colorado so I need axles that can take a beating and still drive me home. Bear in mind that I plan on doing most of the installation work myself, I just don't know what I should use for my project. I am not above junkyard finds either, if you know of another vehicle that has parts interchangeable with what I am trying to do with my Bronco, please, let me know, I would rather scavenge as much as possible as I am not made of money. I have plenty of time before I have to replace anything, this little truck only had two owners before me and it only has 100,000 miles on it. I've got lots of time to build it I just want to get a shopping list made up so that I can keep my eyes open for good deals on what I am going to need. Over all it doesn't have to be pretty it just has to work. On a side note, I've heard about a diesel? How would that compare cost wise to the gas motors? Both to purchase and to operate.
Finally have a BII to build again!
stevenf

Re: 1984 Bronco II

Post by stevenf »

I think the best axles for your swap would be an Explorer 8.8 in the rear and a Dana 44 in the front. As far as engines go, the 4.0L would be the easiest and should get around 17mpgs range.
morlhug

Post by morlhug »

Any recommendations for the tranny and transfer case? I have been told that the best combo is the C-6 with an NP-205 transfer case, but will that bolt up to the 4.0? Also did Ford put that axle under the Explorer Sport? That is going to be my engine donor I think.
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

Im pretty sure that all of the 4.0L explorers had the 8.8 rear axle. Im not sure of the front axle though. You can keep your stock engine and trans with that 4.0L
morlhug

Post by morlhug »

Ok, so here's what I have so far: definitely going to go with the 4.0 with a Ford 8.8 in the rear. Either a Dana 35 or 44 in the front. I still don't know what to do for the tranny/transfer case. Also, do I really need the lift? I am only going to have 30's on it when it's all said and done. I am really trying to stay away from a big lift, at most maybe an inch or two if I absolutely need it to clear 30" tires. Any info would be appreciated.