4BT cummins in a BII

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
stevenf

4BT cummins in a BII

Post by stevenf »

Ive been looking at the 4bt cummins that was put in old bread trucks. Anyone know of a good write up about these engines?
Ive seen a bronco II cummins on youtube, anyone know of that guys contact?
bartmantom

Re: 4BT cummins in a BII

Post by bartmantom »

if you do a google search on the cummins 4BT you'll get a ton of info on it. www.thedieselstop.com has some good info. I was going to go with the 4BT in my BII but ended up with a Hercules DT2300 turbo diesel instead.
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

i looked on ebay and saw a few with ford small block bell housings on them. if it has that it can't be that hard. i also noticed that they come with a top or side mounted turbo, im sure the top mounted wouldn't work. i would think for the added weight that you would have to use springs from a f series truck. i would also think allot of the fuel system you could rob out of a 80-86 f-250 diesel. i would love to see it, but my question is that at the price i see these engines going for what would be the real benifit over a gas engine?
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

the benefit of going with a diesel is that if you can find a source of used veggy oil you could potentially make your own bio-diesel for around $0.50 to $1.50 a gallon.
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

the actual putting then engine together i can't imagine that hard, but the fuel system and electrical needs i wouldn't know where to start, the turbo would need a intercooler also wouldn't it? is there room for one? i work at the airport and all of out ground equiptment has a small diesel in them, i think its a perkins engine but not for sure, and they run a ford drive train but or not turbo. please let me know how you work this out, i am interested in this.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

The reason for me to go Deisel is the Veggie oil option. I know someone who owns a seafood shop and I can take whatever I want. Im in the process of making this a fairly realiable rig(not a full restoration) so I can make it a dailey driver. Im about to replace bearings and add a spool in a GM 12 bolt. Someone else is giving me a D44 that I will do the same with. I will also be replaceing most of the main components with newer ones.

It seems like the 4BT will be hard to come across at a decent price. Anyone know of other popular/easy to find small deisels?
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

you might want to try and find a Herculese - even though parts are a little hard to come by, there are still distibutors of the parts though.
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

How would you guys go about finding one? Are there salvage yards deticated to delivery type trucks?
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

there are usually some on ebay, or you could try www.dovebid.com don't know how that really works, but I did look there and they had some Grumman delivery trucks.