My '89 B2 Project

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
TJDukit82

My '89 B2 Project

Post by TJDukit82 »

So it's not going to be as hard as I thought to get it running finding the right parts is the hardest part. Most of the distributor parts are special order and it's just being a pain to get them here. I have everything wired up right now except for the fuel pump which will wait until I at least have it started. As you can see the interior is completely stripped out which is because of the rat urine and crap that was inside it. The motor turns over and as soon as the distributor is back in and wired up I think it will start. I need to figure out my power steering pump mount which wont be to hard I think the 2.9l mount will work with some modification.
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
This is the 2.8L out of the '78 Mustang
This is the 2.8L out of the '78 Mustang
And on the 8th day God created beer.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Re: My '89 B2 Project

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I managed to find all my distributor parts I need on NAPA Online PartsPRO SE catalog and so far everything is cheaper then Checker and Autozone. So once I get the parts in this thing should start.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So after discovering that I am an idiot and had wired my distributor wrong I think I have it timed right I'm not sure, the battery died soon after I figured out the wiring. Luckily it's an optima and I just put it back in my truck and fired it right up so I'll have to wait until it's got a good charge before I can try to start it again. In the mean time I'm working on some quick disconnect plugs for the doors so I can keep my power locks and windows but I really miss driving around in my jeep with the doors off so thats kind of important to me. Once I get it started I've gotta fab up an exhaust for it, drain the gas tank and hook up my new fuel pump. It's still going to need a seat and I've got to find some mirrors to work on this thing with the doors off I really didn't like driving the jeep with no mirrors not to mention it's illegal. Tommorrow I'm going to pull the dash out to try and get all the rat crap out and make sure all my wiring is still good. Hopefully I can get rid of that terrible smell that is still lingering I think I'm going to have to soak the whole thing in bleach. I also think I'm going to have to start spending more time inside my wife already hates this thing I'm sure because I've been spending every free minute either outside with it or running to the parts store. Hopefully I'll be driving it in the next month so I can stop putting miles on my truck(15000 plus in the last 9 months).

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I've got the timing figured out good enough to get it started now I am getting no fuel I know it's between my bowl and my jets because when I take the jets out and push the gas fuel comes out but when I put them back in nothing. I did have it running though and it idled I wouldn't say very well and it's just a loud beast with no exhaust on it but it does run so thats good.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So last night I took a couple hours and a few beers and mocked up my new dash with card board once I get the sheet metal I'll be able to put it together pretty easily. I also managed to find a junk yard in Salt Lake that has a lot of Bronco II's and they have the head pipe I need to button up the exhaust so I should be getting that this weekend. Once that is done and I put a seat in it and find some nuts for the motor mounts(I guess I just decided not to bolt the motor down 6 years ago and now have no nuts to put on it) I think I can at least take it for a drive around the neighborhood where I dont have to worry about not having lights.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I was cleaning out my truck today on my lunch break and found my bumper bolts that I pulled off to put the tow bar on and realized that the nuts are the same size as the motor mount bolts so thats not a concern anymore.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

Anymore updates?
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Not too much new there is a lack of money right now but I pulled the fuel tank and drained it, pulled out the fuel pump and used the top part to make my own fuel pick up we will see how that works out and got the tank back in last night. So now it will run on it's own power the alternator isn't supplying power yet so I need to pull it and get it tested to make sure it works and get a chilton which will hopefully have to wiring diagrams I need to make my under hood fuze panel and relay box work. I stripped out the inside of the Dash and I put the shell back in I decided to use it instead of making my own so it still has so original feel to it. I still have to figure out the cooling system though because the heater outlet on the lower water outlet rests on the steering box it has already been plugged but I need to try and find one that has enough clearance. Once that is done and I get a seat and figure out the throttle cable I should be able to drive it. Also my local junk yard sells complete axles for 69 buck each so I think I'm going to try and find a TTB 44 and an 8.8 to put in it for now for ease of installation, later down the road I still want to do a SAS but I don't feel like dealing with the suspension right now. So the only thing holding me up right now is money once I can convince my wife to let me use some of our savings to get it going it will only a matter of hooking stuff up to get it going.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I got all the unnecassary vacum lines plugged and the motor idles very nice. Once I get my new thermostat housing I'll be able to get this thing warmed up and timed. I still have to pick up a seat for it and get my lights working other than that nothing too big keeping me from driving it. The alternator tested fine three times at autozone so I still have to figure out some wiring so my coil and fuel pumped aren't hard wired to the battery anymore. It's a good feeling knowing this thing is actually coming together and it's going to get a new life after being dead for so long.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Got all the plumbing hooked up today and filled it up with water. The radiator has a pretty good leak down at the bottom near the drain hole so I'm going to try some bar's leak and hope that fixes it. I let it warm up finally and she runs pretty good, idles smooth, the engine smokes a little and the valve tick is really loud but no rod knock so that is good. Just some minor stuff to fix like the exhaust leaks and the lights and this thing will be road worthy.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Where are you from?
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

I'm from Oregon but I'm in the Air Force and am currently stationed at Hill AFB near Ogden, UT. I just updated my profile so it's on there now.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

I pulled a seat out of a '91 xploder and took her out for a drive yesterday. The brakes need a little work the pedal feels good they just dont work so I'm going to tear into them this weekend and see what the deal is. Still no brake lights I'm having trouble with my new relays that I bought from radioshack all my other lights work fine so I don't know. Still got to fix the exhaust leaks I've got some welding to do on the head pipe and around the pipe that i used to replace the cat. Overall it runs pretty good though I know that if anything goes wrong with it, it will probably be electrical so I'm going to be carrying extra wires and fuzes and stuff for a while just in case. So here's the list of all the crap I've had to get for this thing:

1. '78 2.8L
2. Thermostat from a '99 Wrangler(I had it laying around and it just happened to fit)
3. '84 Ranger spark plug wires
4. '84 B2 Oil Filter adapter
5. '91 Xploder seat
6. '84 B2 Air Cleaner assy.
7. All new wiring, in-line fuzes and switches for all electrical.
8. '84 B2 Head Pipe and passenger side manifold
9. Custom redneck fuel pickup

Thats it for now as soon as I sell my truck and I've got some extra money I'll be getting axles and get it lifted.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Just a couple little updates for now.

I moved the mirrors up closer to the front of the door just another one of the silly things Ford did by putting them in the middle.
IMG_0927.JPG
I have rewired the power windows and locks so that all works again now. Once I figure out the brake light situation I'm having I'll be driving it everyday.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

So I got the brakes fixed which wasn't a lack of functional brakes it was a lack of paying attention as I didn't notice that the vacuum line going to the brake booster wasn't hooked up. I still probably need to tear them apart since they have been sitting for so long and lube them up hopefully there isn't too much rust. I think I'm going to just buy some lights for the rear and run my brake light seperate from my turn signals and ditch the relays all together once that is doen this thing will be road worthy.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71