88 bronco II a4ld slipping when warm

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
wood41_2000

88 bronco II a4ld slipping when warm

Post by wood41_2000 »

I have an 88 bronco II 4x4 it is slipping in reverse and 3rd when it warms up ( normal engine temp). Works fine when cold (cold engine temp) shifts great no slipping. After it warms it slips in reverse 3rd no OD at that time. if you keep driving, it will stop moving. After it cools down(cold engine temp) it just fine till it warms up again. (normal oprating temp) I have blowed the lines out,changed oil cooler,changed filter.and ran it with the 3 wire connecter off. Does the same thing. What could this be? Pump going out,junk tranny? Or what Can anyone help?
pigmy pony

Post by pigmy pony »

Check the repair manual or call a tranny shop and see if the bands can be tightened. Its seems normal that it only does it when its warm, if it just needed to be adjusted. Some auto trannys you can tighten the bands on them so they will not slip anymore.
Momentum and wheel spin
wood41_2000

Post by wood41_2000 »

I thought the samething. I thought maybe it could be losing fluid pressure whin it warmed up. I have a rebuilding book on it, but I don't see what the fluid pressure is. the book does't have it that I can see. It will turn the tires in reverse when its cold. Its got me. I did have someone on an other site tell me to titten the bands all the way in and back off 1/4 turn. It helped, now it is surging in reverse when warm and it is a little better in 3rd if you don't push it. And the shift points in 4 and OD go up. 45 to 50 for 4to OD cold, and 55 to 65 when warm if it goes in when warm.