1 ton axle swap in

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

its definately worth it to me and i may go with bigger tires later, but i guarentee if your running the ttb you will break something long before i will, i popped a front cv joint in mine just by going down a steep hill and cutting it deep at the bottom
89 bronco II stock almost 300,000 miles 4th motor gotta love those 2.9s
83 S10 blazer 383 stroker (almost show truck)
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

ledfordwc wrote: but i guarentee if your running the ttb you will break something long before i will
get your checkbook out. some people don't wheel to the point of breakage. i have seen 35's on a dana 35 ttb, squealing donuts in 4 lo on dry pavement. maybe your issue you had something to do with maintenance or age - things don't last forever. you do know that things will break on a straight axle too, right?

lastly, you can't guarantee anything yet, you don't have 1 tons. maybe rockcrawler knows something you don't, and that's why he can guarantee it's never worth it.

:tongue2:
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Thats not what i said i said its always worth it (i used a double negative before). I run a dana 60 front and 10.25 rear. I have run many diffrent axle setups and this is by far my fav. Now Did your buddy have a locker in the front? When you put a locker in there things tend to blow up alot more. I wish i had gone with dana 60 front the start instead of the dana 44's. The TTB doesnt do nearly as good off road as a soild axle, unless your doing baja which ttb is really great. Now im not saying you cant wheel a TTB but there is a point where it will hold you back and you need to upgrade to a solid axle and when you get into big tires you need big axles.
Attachments
1115071508.jpg
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

ok i'm just looking for advice because i have never done this before and i know alot of people on here have done it, and i do realize a straight axle will break too, but it is a whole lot less likely, i'm not looking for an argument, i'm just looking for advice, i'm not totally new to offroading, just this site and axle swaps, i'm used to jeeps and i've never had this much trouble out of a stock setup on any of the jeeps i've had, and a couple of them have been severely punished :hmmm: :eek: :puke:
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

I suggest going with a two link with a wrist arm. You can build your own or use some stock control arms off of a bronco with a solid axle. Here are two links one to my rear suspension that i built my own links and the other is the front with stock (modified arms)
http://forum.broncoii4x4.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

oh yea another question the front end in this f-350 appears to be quite a bit wider than the rear, i haven't measured it but it looks like it is, is it wider or does it just look like it is
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

What rear end again? I know that most rear axles are narrower then the front mine is about an inch narrower in the back then the front.
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

its supposed to be a high pinion dana 60 front and a 10.25 in the rear, which i think is what your running so it will probably be the same, they are in a 92 F-350
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

oops, i feel like a dumbass.

sorry, rock, i see the not in your original post...i'm still mastering the written language, apparently.

led, i'm not looking for an argument either, just don't trash talk my ttb!!! i love that little guy.
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

i wasn't trying to trash talk, i was just pointing out the obvios, if the ttb was the best offroad then everyone wouldn't be putting a strait axle in the front
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

not everyone
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

the springs on the rear aren't going to be a problem, the perches are only about three inches wider on the 1 ton than the bronco, the only thing i'm wondering about is, the truck has leaf springs up front and the drivers side spring perch is right against the diff and the bronco is going to be narrower than that so how do i get the front springs to mount on the axle because where the front coils are right now on the bronco is about 4 inches narrower (2 inches on each side+-) than where the leafs mount on the truck, is their some special coil spring mount that i can weld to the side of the front diff :wtf:
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

I took the top coil mount and welded it to the side the of the diff housing and on the other side to the axle tube.
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

you used a top mount out of a bronco ?
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

yeah