Battery,cellenoid, starter, or something else?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Hoomer

Battery,cellenoid, starter, or something else?

Post by Hoomer »

Hello. I'm new and any advice would be greatly appreciated. My 1990 BroncoII all of a sudden won't start. It is cold here in Alaska. When the key is turned, a strange noise happens near the battery/cellenoid area instead of the starter motor engaging. I can hear the fuel pump working. I crossed the cellenoid as well as trying to jump it and the results were the same. Is there something besides the battery, cellenoid, or starter that I need to worry about? Thanks
Hoomer
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

try having someone bump the starter with a broom handle while you are trying to start it with the key. the noise you are hearing from the seloniod is probably the clicking noise that they make when they tell the starter to engage.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

You need to have the battery load tested. More than likely it is bad or seriously discharged. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, as well as the ground.

A jump start should get you going. Then you'll want to have the whole charging system tested. I assume you have a local auto parts store in Juneau, although I don't recall seeing one on "The Road" :laugh:
djadjective

Post by djadjective »

I had the same thing happen to me once, the selenoid would just click and I got no noise from the starter. I replaced the selenoid and havent had issues since. Even though it was clicking it wasnt sending any voltage to the starter. But I would make sure your battery is fully charged first and then try to start it before buying anything.
Hoomer

Thanks

Post by Hoomer »

Problem solved. Thanks
Hoomer
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

hey i been to juneau!! real nice place there what with the glacier and all...

i live in whitehorse, yukon . we should go wheeling sometime - i have a 90 b2 as well!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

What was the problem?
Hoomer

Post by Hoomer »

Ive been gone. Sorry for the lack of communication. The problem was simple. A corroded battery cable. Thanks for the help and I would love to go wheelin.
Hoomer
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Thanks for the update! :cool: