302 swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
84_4x4

302 swap

Post by 84_4x4 »

i have a 302 i want to put in my bronco and will be getting a 5 speed to go behind out of a 2wd truck

can yall throw together a parts list for me get so i will not be forgetting anything since this is my first swap and i want it to be done right if at all possible i would like to use my same trans case im not positive but ive heard its strong enough
Get Out Of Way Or Im Comin Over Ya
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This is really a hard question to answer. It all depends on which parts you choose to use. No 2 swaps are going to be the same. Once you figure out which engine, tranny and transfercase you want to use, then you can figure out what you need to bolt it all it. Generally all you need to put it in, is a set of motor mounts that you can buy or make yourself, and a transmission crossmember that will likely need to be fabbed to meet your needs.

Once it's bolted in, then you can figure what you need for driveshafts. Tackle the wiring and fuel systems. Then figure out what you want for a radiator and figure out how to make it fit. You'll also need exhaust. I'd recommend saving your money and finding a set of exhaust manifolds to use instead of headers. Since you want to use a 5 speed, you'll also have to do something about a clutch.

I documented most of my swap below. Some of the parts I used are no longer available. Some I'd choose differently (oil filter relocator, headers). I'd also go fuel injected.

If you hit me with some specifics, I'll try to answer as soon as possible. Just keep in mind I'm pretty busy these days.

http://www.broncoii4x4.com/v8swap/302swap.htm
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

i have nothing against manifolds i even have a set i would like to use but i was under the impression i needed to get a special set of headers to get the exhaust to fit with the bigger motor. i will keep the simple carb motor i dont have the time, energy or money to mess with fuel injection. i have someone who will shorten the rear drive shaft and i was gonna measure to get front one. so basically what i need is what to do about front suspension to not be sagging and throttle cable and motor mounts on the truck since my motor still has mounts from donor
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

not to discourage you, but alot of people i've talked to would advise against a 302 - the open c frame can't handle it. meckanix ' s b2 is literally falling apart - the floor inside his truck is pulling apart. i wanted to go 302, but i think a 4.0 is in my sights, and imho, alot easier.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

The frames can handle it with out a problem they are the same size as the bronco's. I have had a 302 in my bronco II for over 5 years now and never had an issue, and i run a doubler with 5 to 1 and its the tq that kills the frame and i have more then most and mine is still in great shape and i have done alot of stupid things to it.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I have never seen a failed frame on a Bronco II because of a V8. I have seen people cut the hell out of their frame to clear the exhaust for the V8 though. Those are hack installs and no surprise they would fail.
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

quote, from another site,
Mekcanix:

"yeah the frame issues are what is killing my BII I have to admit i love my truck and I will admit the 302 was a mistake in that the frame was never ever intended for the 302 plus I built it for torque and we do some nasty rock trails so with my heavy right foot the frame has begone to pretzle to the point its pulling the body floor apart"

seems like too much torque. but i guess it all depends on your terrain and driving style.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Well Lets see one person that probably cut up a bunch of his frame or had it all rusted out is sayin his frame is bad but your have 2 others that beat the leaving crap out of there rig and never had a issue. If your really worried then box it, but i wouldnt do that unless you got alot of free time.
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

what would i have to do to run stock manifolds from the ltd the motor is coming from i want to do this build as cheap as possible but also want it to be safe since i will be driving it to college in the summer
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I'd venture to say the stock LTD manifolds won't fit. However there are a few that will. I didn't go that route on my swap, so I can't say for sure which manifolds will fit. At the time of my swap I knew, but I dont' remember any more. I'm sure the info is on the net.

As mentioned above, you do want to avoid cutting the frame.

As for the frame failure...we need more details on the rig. I'm willing to bet it had more to do with other things, such as axle swaps and body lift, poor fabication, or as Rockcrawler mentioned, rust.