wire welder...

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
DBrown

wire welder...

Post by DBrown »

I am looking at getting a new wire welder to start the rebuild of my 71 bronco tub and was wondering if you guys have any opinions on a fairly cheap wire welder that is really just good for sheet metal.

I got a 225ac arc welder and can do everything with it except thin guage sheet metal. any sugestions?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I have a Hobart 135 and I would buy it again if I was looking for a small 110v wire machine but I would suggest a larger 220 machine. You are going to want a bottle so make sure what you buy has a solenoid in it or it's an additional $100 and the reg is another $100, the Hobart came with both. As soon as you get a nice machine you won't stick weld unless you have to so again I would go 220.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I was looking around last night and found some stuff for under $300 some were even around $120 but I think I will stay away from the cheaper ones.

I know this sounds backwords but I actualy perfer to arc weld. that is what I was originaly tought on. MIG is what I realy want but alot of them are outside of my budget right now. where did you get yours from and can you give me a price range?

EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

DBrown wrote:I know this sounds backwords but I actualy perfer to arc weld.
Not really backwards but if you get a large mig you won't be using the stick much since it easier to give it a quick hit with the mig.
For mine I bought it at the local welding store but after looking it's been replaced by a 140 here is one on Egay for $480 140 here or you could go with the 125 but make sure it's the EZ or you will have to buy the "mig" kit with it to burn solid wire.Here is a 125 EZ for $375125 ez here
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

You definately want one with the gas bottle.....especially if you plan to be replacing body panels. Also 220V will have a higher duty cycle.

I have a cheapo Campbell Hausfeld wirefeed. My wife got it for me for free with her reward points. It's gas ready but I don't have a bottle for it yet. The welding lead and power cord are too short. Seems to work OK for what it is, but definately doesn't have enough power. EBSTEVE has a really nice mig. It's definatley a time saver.

This is a tool that will last a life time. I think it would be worth every penny to step up and get a 220V box.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I have a millermatic 185 and it is everything I need in a welder. It handles large material with ease and once you get used to it you can almost weld tinfoil.

For a wirefeed I would suggest looking over the specs like as someone suggested look for the best duty cycle. Go 220 if you have it available and get one with support so you can buy parts if needed..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

My wire feed is a crapsman that I bought about 8-9 years ago. I payed $400 without the bottle. It did come with the regulator. The welder has 90 amp 105 amp switch that you can choose from. One thing that mine has that you will definetly want is variable wire speed and heat range. I have seen some with just one dial and you can't fine tune them. I have no complaints about mine. I built a race car with it, none of the welds failed when I crashed :rolleyes: . Welded a couple of rear ends that broke axles. Built my BII chop top and cage with it. I agree the 220 volt is a better unit, but for the money 110 gets you in cheap. I think my duty cycle is about 20 mins when I continuously weld 1/4 steel. I am about ready for a break by then. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I have thought about the variable speed...I tried to use one of those that just had the pre set settings and a switch and it sucked. one setting would push the lead away from the material and the next would burn threw.

I am thinking about duty cycle but I don't want to move too fast when installing the sheet metal anyway so I don't know how important it is to me. I think I am going to do some more looking and wait untill after christmas to see if sears or someplace like that does any deals....

thanks for the advice, I will let everyone know what I come up with. I might just have to sell some parts to get a better machine....

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This is an interesting little field test.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/clarke-90.htm
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

what does the 2mm compare to as far as body panels go?

the thicker stuff looked like about 1/8" thick...

I never realy expected to do much more with it then sheet metal. I haven't been looking much because of christmas and work but i plan to start hitting the used shops around here soon to see if I can get one with a little use for a better price.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Here is a conversion chart I found.

http://www.mesteel.com/info/carbon/thickness.htm

So 3mm is roughly 1/8"

One of my biggest complaints with my welder is the leads are way too short. Of course longer leads need more power.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

They are a few more dollars initially but cheaper to run and maintain, if you can find an affordable inverter style wire machine-GRAB IT! Put the arc welder to double duty use and buy a scratch tig unit to add on to it.
Otherwise, the Millermatic 185 is all the machine you may ever want or need.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

Put the arc welder to double duty use and buy a scratch tig unit to add on to it.
you got any more info on this?

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

EBSTEVE loaned me his Hobart 135 to do my exhaust. It's a VERY nice welder. Night and day from the piece of crap I have. Works very well. I'd highly recommend it.

DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I have a friend that uses a hobart 140 from TSC and he likes it alot. I checked on price and they were right at $500. that was one of the welders I am looking at getting.