Whats the modern equivalent of a Bronco II?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Al

Whats the modern equivalent of a Bronco II?

Post by Al »

When I replace my current Bronco II in a few years I'd like to buy something about 10 years old or so that is similar to my Bronco II. This is a vehicle I only drive in winter, about 15,000 miles a year.

I'd like something about the same size, not as big as an Explorer. Wheelbase 95 to 105 inches. 100,000 miles or thereabouts.
Something known to be reliable to 200,000 miles. I'd like to drive it for 3 to 5 years.
Able to tow 1500 pounds, hardtop, warm to -30°. Not a Jeep CJ.

Any suggestions on what to look for?
Last edited by Al on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigK

Post by CraigK »

Al

I'll probably keep my '87 B2 for a few more years too. I've been checking out pre-1996 (HATE those plastic wheel fenders on the 1996+ models) Toyota 4-Runners for my next 4x4. I like the body style, smaller size, VERY reliable (200,00+ easily if maintained), and solid performance. Downside is less than stellar gas mileage - seems to be an actual 19mpg, which could be better. I think this could be a vehicle to make a serious LT investment in restoring.

Still can't figure out why I like my B2 so much . . .

CraigK
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

You pose an interesting question. I've been asking myself the same and told my wife that if I ever have to get rid of the BII, I was gonna get a Wrangler. I like the Unlimited, but not the newer 4 door type. I DON'T WANT A 4 DOOR. Seems like all the manufacturers want you to have a dog-goned 4 door. I have an older Cougar for the same reason.

I love the realative simplicity of working on Fords and Dodges. Don't like working on an Asian vehical and don't want to support that whole scene. I want an American company's vehical. But where do you go? Seems like the Wrangler is the only thing that could replace the now-venerable BII, size-wise and all. I took an brand new one on a test drive and they would fit the bill nicely, but again, I like the little extra room of the Unlimited 2 door model.

That being said, after test driving a Wrangler, I ended up flying down to Tennessee and drove an '84 600 miles back home.. I think I'll be able to find them for quite some time to come.. Maybe in the interim someone will figure out that we aren't like everyone else.
Bronco Ollie

Post by Bronco Ollie »

i say keep your b2s screw a jeep
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

2dr Explorer is closest thing you'll find-from Ford. A Jeep Cherokee is a pretty good second option, all with decent powered 4.0
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I believe land rover is owned by Ford. Sure wish they'd release a new Bronco on the Land Rover Defender platform. V8, straight axles, removable top. All the work is already done. I'd make serious effort to by one. Probably the only new vehicle I'd consider buying.

Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

Yep, you're right, Land Rover is owned by Ford. I had forgotten about the Defender, but then again I have to stay within my mean$... Great shot by the way. Check out this link.. I think they missed the removable top part, but it's a great looking vehicle:

http://seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2004- ... oncept.htm

I like the turbo diesel, don't like the automatic, like the nitrous, don't like the electronic traction control. Sorry, just like plain 'ol simplicity. This would be a very cool machine..

"The Bronco concept is like your favorite pair of worn, faded jeans – classic, familiar, comfortable and always in style,"
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Defenders are not sold in the US any more because Land Rover does not want to make them comply with US standards. This would make them to expensive for the US market. I understand that the last year that they were shipped here, they were alotted so many vehicles into the states (like 2000). Each of these vehicles has a number pasted on the back to let the officials know when they have allowed enough in. Essentially it will be a Jeep market. Unless you can get your hands on a Izusu Vehicross.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
pigmy pony

Post by pigmy pony »

I don't know the last year they had them, but I decided the closest thing to a b2 would be a Dodge Raider. I believe Jeeps are very capable vehicles but they are crap.

I don't quite understand why you would need to get rid of the b2 because of it age. Anything can essentially be fixed, I guess it comes down to time and money though. oh and two door explorers are ugly, but would be your best bet.
Momentum and wheel spin