Looks like a relay but what does it do ???

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Willie Two

Looks like a relay but what does it do ???

Post by Willie Two »

On my 84 B2, there is what looks like a relay mounted just below the starter solinoid on the pass. side fender. Internally it is all solid state with no coil or moving contacts. When I unplug this " burn't " item the truck seems to run ( idle ) the same. Can someone tell me it's function ?? My truck has a carb and mechanical fuel pump. Thanks to all who reply. Bob
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

If it's on the passenger side mounted close to the vacuum switches on the fender it should be your MAP sensor.
Willie Two

Post by Willie Two »

It is not the map sensor, it is a typical 5 pin Ford relay I am just wondering what it's function is. I now have plugged in a new relay and as previously mentioned the truck seems to be the same with or without it.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

The relay is to run one of the fine emission switches on your vehicle. You can easily bypass it along with the vacuum switches if you are in off road only mode.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Willie Two

Post by Willie Two »

Thanks guys, I have found that it seems to be also tied in with the electric choke element which cycles on & off when the key is in the on position and / or truck running. Pull the relay & the choke no longer has 12 volts applied to it, I also see that this relay controls the time the voltage is applied with an on again / off again pulse. ( Canada winters / gotta have the choke :D )