I need stuff

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
garagedude

I need stuff

Post by garagedude »

Where can I find a set of headers, a mallory dist for an 84 BII 4x4? I can't seem to find any??
I May get Lost But I Don't Get Stuck

84 BroncoII, Locked, Winched, Big Tires,
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I believe you can find 2.8L headers on some of the ford aerostar vans. However I'd highly recommend sticking with the good 'ol cast iron exhaust manifolds.

Headers are only good for a 3% gain. At best 5%. That's in a high performance engine. So that's like 3-6HP in the perfect environment. Realistically 1-2HP if you're lucky.

As for the ignition, the ford TFI system is a very good ignition. If you are trying eliminate the computer, you can roll back to a duraspark system, which is also a very proven system. I highly doubt the aftermarket can beat it.

If you want more power, I'd highly recommend a 4.0L(160HP). Even a 2.9L has 140HP vs the 2.8L 115HP. It would take a lot of money to make a 2.8L come close to that.
garagedude

I need stuff

Post by garagedude »

I found a set of Edelbrock headers at summit. My short block is ready. New pistons. Zero decked. Moly rings, SPS rod bolts. Heads are ready with three angle valve job, ported and polished. even if the headers would only give three percent, I'll still take it. I've thought of the Duraspark, but I have used the MSD several times and like they way engines perform with it. I have a Holley 350 so all I need is a dist I think. Any comments welcome...

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Too bad you can't put it on a dyno. I'd like to see how it does. I'd strongly recommend the duraspark ignition with a TFI coil.
garagedude

I need stuff

Post by garagedude »

From what I read all I need is the dist, since I can use the stock coil and I have the holley, right??

garagedude

I need stuff

Post by garagedude »

got any ideas on a cam. I haven't started looking yet. I don't need a real lumper but some added mpg and torque would be worth the money spent.

ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I found a Mallory unilight dist for my 85. I didn't notice any super horsepower gains but the engine ran smoother and there wasn't a rev limiter. Mine would rev up to 7200 rpm pretty consistantly in the lower gears. There wasn't enough HP to do it in the 4th and 5th gears. Try looking at the Mallory site for a vendor. I did run the stock tfi coil. The headers did not make any difference. I never changed a cam. The stock one from a 77 crapi worked well. Remember this motor was made to push a small car around and was stuffed into a 3500 pd rig. There is only so much u can do.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
garagedude

I need stuff

Post by garagedude »

Gee, I never run mine over 4600 rpm. Could that be cause its so weak?

ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

With proper tuning the stock 2.8 with the EEC IV dist. would rev to atleast 6200-6300 rpm before the rev limiter kicked in. One thing with these motors is that they are solid lifter cam motors and like to have their valves adjusted every twelve month or 12,000 miles. Since I was hard on my engines, it seemed that I was adjusting every 9-10,000 miles. It is easy to tell because there is a vibration that you will feel thoughout the running gear. Sometimes this leads you to think that there is something wrong like a u-joint or a tranny. They won't rev with out proper valve adj.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.