Spark plugs

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
garagedude

Spark plugs

Post by garagedude »

Which spark plugs and heat range would you use for a stock 84. I drive mostly on highway. Its starting to miss some, so time for a change.
Paul

Post by Paul »

you say a stock 84 BII well then you can be sure the stock plugs used by ford that are fairly inexpensive ....... Autolite brand ....... would be just fine for the application, or if you want to spend more you can buy bosch or the others but if it was good enough for ford to use for it it should be good enough to substantiate the truck now.....
1989 Bronco II 4x4
Mitsubishi 146 5 speed,
Stock D35
235/75/15
4.0L upgrade
NO LIFT
Crop Top
Dreg

Post by Dreg »

I've had good luck with NGK.

http://www.sparkplugs.com
Lance Skene

Re: Spark plugs

Post by Lance Skene »

Many autoparts stores these days have the referance book near the plugs, you simply look up your vehicle/engine and find the # of the plugs... or ask at the parts counter. New cap and rotor would be a good idea also.

Have you ever considered the duraspark conversion? Its well worth the effort.. better mileage, more power, less likely to fail. I have an '84 and an '85 both converted, wouldnt even consider running a 2.8 without it now.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I don't always change the plugs in my Fords but when I do I only use Dos Autolite!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
raljake

Post by raljake »

Old thread but I just want say that Motorcraft/Autolite works ok.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

No body laughed at my joke!!!! Whaaaaaaaa
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Fairlaneboy66

Post by Fairlaneboy66 »

Check the restance on the sparkplug wires to make sure they are in spec. Between 3000 ohms to 15000 ohms per foot and check the coil while your at it. The primary coil will be around 1 to 2 ohms and secondary coils should be between 10500 ohms and 15000 ohms. Check the primary by using your leads across the power and ground on the coil. Check seconndary coil by testing from power or ground to coil output (lead to the distributer) I usually check both to make sure.