tulip-style rear end

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Alrebel_09

tulip-style rear end

Post by Alrebel_09 »

How do you know if your bronco II is equipped with a tulip-style rear end.
What does it look like and what year models was it put in?
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

the black one is the double cardan shaft made by spicer. it is 31.75 inches, flange to flange. it is neither a ford part, nor is it used. (this is not the cheap route, but i have a three year warranty...and it's brand new.

the dirty dirty one is a tulip style, or cv driveshaft. it is almost identical in design and principle as the driveaxles on a front wheel drive car. ford did this disservice to us (correct me if i'm in need) in later production years - 88-90?

if you have neither, you could have this one.

this is called a single cardan d-shaft.

i believe that all three shafts went into the bII - depending on the year and transmission configuration. do you have an auto?
Paul

Post by Paul »

i have an 1989 Bronco II and it was the early model with the d 28 but i know it has the tulip style it, but since i work for DANA torque products a division of spicer group at the plant where all three types were made for ford for the bronco, your right all three were used in all the model years...
Paul

Post by Paul »

rephrase last comment, were used or usable depending on tranny, transfer case, and axles.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

IIRC Jwillie on here used exploder flanges and DC joint and had the D-line shortened to eliminate the "tulip". The "tulip" is actually a constant velocity joint and junk for the application IMO, I used to machine the part for cv joints years ago and if they don't hold up on Honda front ends they won't hold up in 4L.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
Paul

Post by Paul »

well i have one more question for you guys, what would be the better shaft for replacing the tulip style shaft ......... currently 4.0 with mazda m50d-r 5 speed 4x4
1989 Bronco II 4x4
Mitsubishi 146 5 speed,
Stock D35
235/75/15
4.0L upgrade
NO LIFT
Crop Top