Chop Top Project

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Limited

Chop Top Project

Post by Limited »

Okay started my chop top project, this is what I have gotten done so far

first took the seats out and carpet, than all the plastic in the back of the truck. I disconected the rear window defrost and my rear window wiper and fluid pump, un hooked the rear cab light.
Than came the head liner and rear windows, This was a little ruff. I had no problem getting the first window out, it took some time but it came out all in one piece, than the other one blew out real easy, but I will not need these windows so if you want to clean the mess its a faster way of getting the window out, also if you cannot find some one to take the whole window, than you can put it in a bag and take it to the dump. I had made holes in the plastic to get to the bolts in the summer so it was easy to get at them. But if you dont have holes there than you will need to take all the side plastic off to get to them easy. IF you want to keep your headliner than make sure everything is taken off that is holding it down and pull it straight out from the rear of the truck, and do not bend it at all!!!
Rectum, damn near killed em
Limited

Post by Limited »

Also can I get a Ranger roll bar and mount it in the back of this when the top is off???
Thanks
Also any good ideas on what to do with the rear window washer? Like the pump and jug? It works fine, I think I could make somthing good from it.
Limited

Post by Limited »

Okay well its off!!! haha it was fun, VERY fun, haha and well 100% easer than I ever thought it would be SO FAR. I used a sawzall, I got two new blades. It cut very easy, just make sure you get a blade that is long enuff to go all the way though. First I cut the rear pillars off, than closed the hatch to brace the top from moving around when I cut. Than I got inside the truck and cut along my line from the inside. You should have somthing for your ears here, if you are inside it is VERY loud! When I got the top off I got a friend to open the rear hatch while I was inside the truck and I lift up from inside while he lifted the hatch. Its not that heavy but that hatch is about 90% of the weight. well here it is.
Before
After
Before
After
Limited

Post by Limited »

okay so this worked out real nice so far, first time I have used a angel grinder. I cut the brace on the sides and than just beat it with a hammer untill it bent up than just grinded away and it is closed up. Now I am not going to just leave it like that but its a start. Here it is, and a pic of the truck out of the car port

Limited

Post by Limited »

I took all my old weather striping off from around the rear hatch and off the top that I cut off and put it around the truck where the window mounted, I also got it to fit around the top of the truck but not around the beams. I am going to go and try to find some new weather striping that I can use, I may try and make it so that the beams on the top are tapered down so that I can put the striping around the whole choped part of the truck. But not back where the rear beams are, I am going to try and fill it in and work this fiber glass way first.

here is where I took the striping from.

and put it here
rockcrawlerbronco2

chop top

Post by rockcrawlerbronco2 »

looks good man i just have one suggestion.in the past when i do the chop tops on these rigs i cut a little more off the top of the cab.i noticed you left a 2 inch lip on top. is there any special reason you didi that?i usually carry the window line accross the top.
greenmachine89

Post by greenmachine89 »

Lookin good. What are you going to do about closing the cab off? I have never found a setup that looks good so I never have attempted the chop top. Hope to see more pics!
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
Limited

Re: chop top

Post by Limited »

rockcrawlerbronco2 wrote:looks good man i just have one suggestion.in the past when i do the chop tops on these rigs i cut a little more off the top of the cab.i noticed you left a 2 inch lip on top. is there any special reason you didi that?i usually carry the window line accross the top.
I just wanted to make sure I had somthing to work with, its almost flush with the wind edge. Dident want to be like ahhhhhhhh shit I cut too much
Limited

Post by Limited »

greenmachine89 wrote:Lookin good. What are you going to do about closing the cab off? I have never found a setup that looks good so I never have attempted the chop top. Hope to see more pics!
I want to make a "soft top"

So it will be more like a full size bronco rag top... Know what I mean?
rockcrawlerbronco2

soft top

Post by rockcrawlerbronco2 »

Il try to take some close up pics of my soft top for you it really turned out nice and functional.dont forget dry!! lol
04sd

Post by 04sd »

greenmachine89 wrote:Lookin good. What are you going to do about closing the cab off? I have never found a setup that looks good so I never have attempted the chop top. Hope to see more pics!
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wblbronco ... /my_photos
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Very nice job, I see you put in a bit of planning. It shows..

Looking good, Now get out there and get it muddy!!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Limited

Post by Limited »

04sd wrote:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wblbronco ... /my_photos
wow that is clean truck! what did you use for the rear? not the tale gate but behind the seats? is it off a ranger?
04sd

Post by 04sd »

The rear cab panel is made of wood, laminated hardwood strips to get the curve of the roofline, and then coated with black bedliner. Uses a ranger rear slider window. An aluminum u-channel along the botom channels water to either side when the bed cover is on. I really don't use it much in the winter but I just bought a snowplow for it for next year. The bed cover and cab panel can both be removed in less than five minutes. Not shown in the pictures is the rear seat rollbar and bikini top that goes on for most of the year. This is a summer time toy and now winter driveway plow, I have a new F150 S-Crew 4x4 for a daily driver.
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction
Paul

Post by Paul »

excellent looking rear cover.... making me want to cut mine off now... hmmm too many projects not enought time to dop it all at once .... :mad2: :mad2: