chop top questions...

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
BDEUCE

chop top questions...

Post by BDEUCE »

i was wondering if some of the chopped guys and fiber-body men could field a question...

i am considering a chop, and i was thinking about using a clip from a ranger to make a solid cab wall, preferably with sliding glass. my query is do you think that setup would still be strong in a rollover? honestly, or would it hurt to put in a bar just for helps?

i guess i have 1 more: necessity is part of this design, i am a tradesman, tools are expensive. i want to put in a locking tailgate, and modify a fiberglass gas strut tonneau cover. i have boat experience with fiberglass, and i could weld a support frame for the lifts...kind of thinking of using linear actuators from princess auto - they can lift like 18 inches and 300lbs with 12 volt!!! the question is has anyone seen this on a bII - the modifies tonneau cover?

okay three questions. i also thought about caging the rear, and putting a canopy on it. do you think i should buy a beat up shortbox ranger and driveshaft and just make this truck?

any thoughts :D
funinthemud

Post by funinthemud »

just put a ranger cab on it and make a bed with tool boxes on either side. that would be much easier than welding in the rear half to your bronco.
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

easier yes, what i want to do, no. if you know what you're doing and have accessto a decent TIG, as i do, welding in a rear cab wall is not hard. my question is whether that would be strong in a rollover, or if i should put in a bar.

i don't want tool boxes on the sides - i want basically a unibody pickup with a tonneau cover as mentioned. if you put toolboxes on the side, thieves think there are tools inside, whereas if they are out of sight, they are safer usually.

thanks for the input.
pigmy pony

Post by pigmy pony »

Personally, just a thought man, I wouldn't feel safe rolling anything without a roll bar of some sort.
Momentum and wheel spin
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I can tell you that a ranger cab doesn't hold up to a light rollover. My bII held up alot better.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

Personally, just a thought man, I wouldn't feel safe rolling anything without a roll bar of some sort.
yeah, that's a different way to think about it. maybe if i am concerned about rolling, i probably NEED a bar, huh?!?! :idea:
Limited

Post by Limited »

yeah Id put a bar in, and whynot! Its safe looks cool and easy to do if there is no top :redneck: :canada: Princes Auto :canada: hahaha
Rectum, damn near killed em
04sd

Post by 04sd »

BDEUCE wrote:easier yes, what i want to do, no. if you know what you're doing and have accessto a decent TIG, as i do, welding in a rear cab wall is not hard. my question is whether that would be strong in a rollover, or if i should put in a bar.

i don't want tool boxes on the sides - i want basically a unibody pickup with a tonneau cover as mentioned. if you put toolboxes on the side, thieves think there are tools inside, whereas if they are out of sight, they are safer usually.

thanks for the input.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wblbronco ... /my_photos
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction