Serious Hesitation Problem

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bones101

Serious Hesitation Problem

Post by bones101 »

Hey guys, when I'm accelerating in my Bronco II I experience a very serious inconsistentency in my power - which ruins my ability to accelerate quickly.

It goes a little like this; when I put my foot down on the gas, it starts to thrash back and forth. One second I'm accelerating, one second I'm not. Which makes for a really rough ride, and a scary experience trying to merge onto the Highway, or beat some on-coming traffic... Ya know? I think it's some kind of hesitation, but I don't know whats causing it.

Fuel pump? Fuel filter? I really believe it has something to do with my fuel system. The injector is where my bet lies. But, what do you guys think?

Any suggestions as to what I should check, am I lucky enough to have found a group that has people that experienced the same problem? If anyone has, let me know what it was so I can get it fixed!

Thanks everyone;

~James :usa:
HERE IS MY TRUCK......
Attachments
DSC01045.jpg
DSC01045.jpg (106.4 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I would lean toward the TFI module on the distributor. Bad spark plug wires can also cause this.
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

don't write it off as fuel yet - like limited says, no point throwing parts at a problem to try and figure out what it is.

suggestion 1
try the search feature on the main forum page. use all keywords applicable.

you really need to supply us with more info, ie - i guess you might have a 2.9 because you said injector? btw, there are six injectors, and are not cheap.

suggestion 2
if you have a distributer, often hairline cracks form where the wires stick on, and it is possible to lose an arc to some metal or something. check spark first - wires, plugs, cap & rotor. these are the cheap things if you want to just change them anyway.

Suggestion 3
check fuel pressure. i don't know how, but search the site to find out how.

is it possible you got bad gas? change fuel filter. is it an auto? because auto's can host driveablilty problems. do you notice missing or smoke or clunking, clicking, grinding, backfiring, sputtering, coughing? you really need to give us more info, because it could be a cap & rotor, or your heads could be cracked, or your rings are toast. any check engine light?

i also hope you will become a full-time member after we help you too!!

Nate
bones101

Post by bones101 »

Well here is the info..

It is a 1986 2.9 EFI V6. The only weird sound that it makes is when I down shift it will have small backfire noises. When I was first trying to get a feel for what was going on, I tried accelerating, knowing it wouldn't accelerate smoothly. When it bogged down, I threw it in Neutral and tried to rev the RPMs. But the Needle didn't pop up... They would stay the same as if there was something blocking the fuel from getting to the Engine, ya know? But I will take a look into your guys' other suggestions. Thanks.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

BDEUCE wrote:is it possible you got bad gas?
Good suggestion. I've had a few tanks of bad gas that caused problems like this.
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

sounds like it could be a sensor as well. no check engine light? does the check engine light come on in the key on position, before you start it? i ask because my check engine light was burned out when i got it.

how does it idle, smooth or erratic up / down? does it seem to run kind of rich? how's your fuel economy? it almost sounds like a map sensor now that i think about it.

you got me thinking, anyway.

Nate
Check this out:
http://forum.broncoii4x4.com/viewtopic. ... hlight=map
Bronco Buddy

Post by Bronco Buddy »

if it is a standard maybe its your shifting, im not trying to slam you or anything i had the same problem with mine it being my first standard vehical.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Dont forget a possible cat clog.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Damn, I'm always wrong :laugh:
Hair

Post by Hair »

I had the same problem with mine!

turned out to be low voltage to the fuel pumps

The fix?

new fuel pump relay!
1987 Bronco II 5" Hair Brain Engineering lift + 2" body lift 35X12.5 BFGs 4.56s Ramps at 933
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

are you running 31's in the picture there? i'm looking for new tires,m/t 31-33", but i can't decide.

get out wheeling much?

Nate
baby bronco

Post by baby bronco »

i had the same problem i changed all my wires plugs and distributor cap and the whole nine yards but the problem was my primary filter was completly stopped up jsut about....so i changed both filters on it and that stopped my problem
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

a fuel pressure check would yield evidence to that problem.
bones101

Post by bones101 »

BDEUCE wrote:are you running 31's in the picture there? i'm looking for new tires,m/t 31-33", but i can't decide.

get out wheeling much?

Nate
I got 29's. I want to crop my fenders a little but and put bigger ones on.

But for the rest of you guys! Thanks for the advice, I'm going to check into it. The last time I had a problem like this it was my fuel pump regulator so im going to check out the fuel pump and then the filters. I only have one little problem....when I tried to change that fuel filter on the driver side of my truck, I couldn't get that damn thing off! Any suggestions?
bones101

Post by bones101 »

and another thing...

My check engine light does work but its not on. My engine also idles weird when I first start it up, it goes up and down and my gas milealge is TERRIBLE. I'm getting 11-12 mpg. But well see what happens when I try all these ideas out. Thanks again. I'll keep you guys posted.