4 link suspension

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
linemanluke

4 link suspension

Post by linemanluke »

Hey i was wondering if any one knew how to do a 4 link setup on 91 explorer 4dr and any pics of good suspension setups for lots of travel would be nice
rockcrawlerbronco2

4 link

Post by rockcrawlerbronco2 »

whats up man.finnally someone wanting to do my kind of suspension!!so front or rear?and what are you gona do with the rig?as in what kind of wheeling?rocks,mud sand snow?
linemanluke

Post by linemanluke »

I would like to do both front and back if thats possble and its going to be a mud and snow truck
rockcrawlerbronco2

i dont know i did 4 link on a toyota of mine an it sucked ass in the snow and sand because it always wanted to just dig down and get me stuck.ive found that the 3link setup works the best for the front and good ol leaf springs in the rear work awesome and there simple too.thats just my recomendation.im running full width axles with 3 link in the front and beleive it or not 6 inch skyjacker springs in the rear and mine twists up like no tommorow!!
EBSTEVE

Re: 4

Post by EBSTEVE »

rockcrawlerbronco2 wrote: it always wanted to just dig down and get me stuck
There is a ton more to building a 3 or 4 link then throwing some links in. I have a three link in the rear (stock front three link as well) in my Bronco and I don't have any problems with the digging that was mentioned but that is controlled by the squat vs antisquat you build into the system. Don't think it's easy to get a good functional setup, and from my experience there is no set in stone setup that is the best and no matter what you do expect to either settle or change from what you originally did.
If I had it to do over again I would do it different from the get go to save some changes but until you change something you don't know what else it will effect, there are link calculators and so on but IMO I don't really trust what looks good on paper vs real world application.
IMO you should not even attempt to do a front setup from scratch (a early Bronco setup is an easy bolt on for the BII) until you have at least tinkered with a rear setup to lean the characteristics of what you are doing.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Steve, we've discussed this a bit before. You might be right, that it's just the squat/anitsquat causing it, but I dunno. From my observations, linked suspensions seem to break the tires loose much easier. Similar to how a front wheel drive car can easily spin the tires through all the gears with a 1.4L. Leaf springs have a little wrap with helps kills that intial shock load. Although axle wrap, then can cause other issues.

I will say your bronco seems to work pretty well, and I've never really noticed it digging more than any other rig. Then again you drive like a sissy. :finger:
rockcrawlerbronco2

4 link

your probably right eb steve.this was the first 4link setup i did and i used the 3/4 eliptic setup and i must have done something wrong or something but it was horrible.it didnt take long for me to ditch that rig and go back to a leafsprung rear!! lol.so your advice is definetly true that you cannot just throw a 4 link system together.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

Nobody wrote:Steve, we've discussed this a bit before. You might be right, that it's just the squat/anitsquat causing it, but I dunno. From my observations, linked suspensions seem to break the tires loose much easier. Similar to how a front wheel drive car can easily spin the tires through all the gears with a 1.4L. Leaf springs have a little wrap with helps kills that intial shock load. Although axle wrap, then can cause other issues.

I will say your bronco seems to work pretty well, and I've never really noticed it digging more than any other rig. Then again you drive like a sissy. :finger:
Well all suspension should have a bit of give IMO and that is why each attachment on mine has a bushing vs heims. Every change will affect more than one characteristic. The links work together so changing the vertical location or length of one set (upper or lower) to change the AS could also create rear steer or a CG change or exct making it perform better or worse.
When Kurt bought his Jeep it would lift the body away from the housing until the limiting chain stopped it and he could not get traction to save his life. He was going to redo the suspension when he did the 14bolt and 60 so for a temporary fix he brought it over and we moved and shortened the upper links and mounts to reduce the antisquat. It was a bunch better after the two hours of work although more movement would have been better, it was just too much work to build a xmember for the mounts as a temporary fix.

As for driving like a sissy lets go wheeling this weekend, you can drive your Jetta :eek: :rolleyes2:
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Sure, kick a guy while he's down. :frown:
funinthemud

Post by funinthemud »

This is were i got all my info from. it covers the basics.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticl ... on_part_2/