Drive Shaft

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Ranger Dave

i like red

Post by Ranger Dave »

mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

tekatlarge wrote:
The BII Bandit wrote: did they make a normal u-joint axle for the older bronco 2s? if they did ill go get one of those from the pick 'n pull, paint it blue, install some new u-joints and call er a day :D
I really gotta ask, Is paintin er Blue one of them there durn HIGH TAK sorta things to make er faster?
I hear a Jeg's sticker is good for 35-50 HP !
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

mccutcheon4 wrote:I hear a Jeg's sticker is good for 35-50 HP !
Wow if a Jegs sticker is worth 35-40 Hp, Then I bet one of them old style oval STP stickers must be at least a hunnert hosses. Muh hahaha
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

The driveline looks good but I would put the slip yoke towards the rear end. If you look most rigs run with the slip yoke towards the diff and the hardened steel takes rubbing of rocks better than the thinner steel of the driveline tube. Just a thought since it happened to me.
Attachments
03-17-06_1653.JPG
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

QUESTION: on the james duff website, it specifies two dshafts, short and long, but only for 86 - 89. i have a 90, manual trans, do i need the short or the long? I don't know which i need. in the picture posted on page 1 of this thread, by mr. hair, is the top one, the double cardan the short one, and the lower on, the single cardan, the longer one? i am unlifted at this point, but need a shaft now. does anyone know if i need a short or a long? or even how long each of them are, because i could go and measure mine to compare. I just don't want to get the wrong one.

I went into my NAPA a while ago, and explained the scenario. I gave them those part numbers, listed with mr. hair's post, and they said that an american napa part # is no good, and all they can order is the same crappy tulip style shaft. so i thought, maybe if i order a different year?!?! does this sound good, and if so, what year? 88? 87? they indicated that they have no way of knowing what it looks like until they get it. what would you do? :idea:
Hair

Post by Hair »

BDEUCE wrote:QUESTION: on the james duff website, it specifies two dshafts, short and long, but only for 86 - 89. i have a 90, manual trans, do i need the short or the long? I don't know which i need. in the picture posted on page 1 of this thread, by mr. hair, is the top one, the double cardan the short one, and the lower on, the single cardan, the longer one? i am unlifted at this point, but need a shaft now. does anyone know if i need a short or a long? or even how long each of them are, because i could go and measure mine to compare. I just don't want to get the wrong one.

I went into my NAPA a while ago, and explained the scenario. I gave them those part numbers, listed with mr. hair's post, and they said that an american napa part # is no good, and all they can order is the same crappy tulip style shaft. so i thought, maybe if i order a different year?!?! does this sound good, and if so, what year? 88? 87? they indicated that they have no way of knowing what it looks like until they get it. what would you do? :idea:
Wow Canadans can't cross numbers? they use the same supplyers! could it be they are that lazy?

use the 88 and later

87 and earlier short trans long driveshaft

88 and latter long trans and short driveshaft

P.S.
go in and talk to the manager and tell him of the problem
1987 Bronco II 5" Hair Brain Engineering lift + 2" body lift 35X12.5 BFGs 4.56s Ramps at 933
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

I have no doubt in my mind he was just too lazy to find it; i mean, what does he have to gain, right? he basically indicated that we can't order custom parts, only replacements. so, i will order a replacement for an 88 and i should be fine, right?

A good friend now works there, and has been giving me his discount on parts, cost plus $10. I will be putting him on the case tonight, the wife and I are going to their house for dinner. I'll give him the part numbers, and even a link to this website so he can see them for himself.

Thank you for replying Mr. Hair!

Nate :redneck:
steiner_5000

Post by steiner_5000 »

The 85' Bronco 2 will have them. At least mine did anyway but you will have to change your t-case or your axle or both just depending what you want.
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

okay, so i've decided to go the route of getting a sploder shaft, and having it cut & balanced. the guy at the yard screwed me up by not knowing what i'm doing. (it's not a u-pick yard. his mechanics actually get the parts for you)
I called him, but i realized i didn't know these things off the top of my head!! I felt like such a tool! then my guy at napa told me a place in alberta had one, short or long, he said short, it is 31" long. no measure on long one :hmmm:
Questions PLEASE!!!

90 Bronco II XL 5speed saggy springs tulip driveshaft with a length of 30 3/4" overall length, installed, outside face of flange to outside face of flange.

1, what age range of explorer
1.5, what model of sploder
2, do i need the front shaft, or the rear shaft.
3, do you think he'll know what double cardan means?
4, my d-shaft length is irrelevant to the guy at the yard, right? so what length approx would i need "from weld to weld, minus the length of how much the slip yoke is showing." ???
5, will this shaft come with both flanges, or will i need another flange from another driveshaft???
6, automatic, manual, and relevance?

anybody please!! I know this is alot to ask.
i'm having a hard time to search on this topic!!
:mad:
mcpherson_racing

Post by mcpherson_racing »

i have an 87 b2 with a 2.9 5 speed, the rear in it was clicking and vibratin so i went to the junk yard and picked up a couple of them. with the three drive shafts i took the cv joints apart and use the good parts to make one good one, been fine since. however if u want to spend a little money autozone and advance auto sells a direct replacement for around 200 dollors with a 3 year warranty
justin mcpherson
BDEUCE

Post by BDEUCE »

we have two yards here, a u pick, and not a u pick. the u pick has two b2 bodies and frames - everything has been stripped. the other yard doesn't have any. so you see , mcpherson racing, i can't go and get any b2 shafts...that's why i was asking about explorer shafts. but thanks for sharing your story.

my wife is now thinking it would be easier to get a new one, and at $400 cdn, i guess it would be easier to obtain and install, but maybe also easier to just eat the cost and have a great part with warranty.

Nate