exploder springs

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

Ranger Dave: I think what Bob was trying to point out is that time is money. so if you save an hour or so and spend little you will be ahead in in the long run and not waisting time trying to use a used part. I did this when swapping a full width 9" in my EB and would recommend it to anyone swapping stuff around.

back to topic...as far as setting pinion angles I just install everything with the perches not welded, put the truck down on the rear with the pinion angle set way low, then use a jack to push up on the pinion untill an aceptable angle is reached with everything loaded. then tack the perches on and remove the rear to burn them in. it works well, just remember to leave a degree or two to compensate for axle wrap...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

I had always heard the angle at the rear flange should be equal to the angle at the output. Tom Woods tech guy said that is perfectly accepted method and the car Mfgr's and others had been doing this for years. But the drawback there was that the oem did not take into account the amount of travel encountered in an off road vehicle. aiming it straight at the Tcase would not be the perfect setup but would be better throughout the full range of motion than equal angles. I've done this numerous times to my own and others vehicles and has never failed yet.

Ranger Dave wrote: I'm an idiot and I'm invisible. Noone can see me and noone wants to hear me spew my crap
Dang Dave, I like that line, that would make a nice sig quote.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Bob Myers wrote:
Ranger Dave wrote: I'm an idiot and I'm invisible. Noone can see me and noone wants to hear me spew my crap
:D :D :D :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

go fuck yourself
:finger:

I'm an idiot and I'm invisible. Noone can see me and noone wants to hear me spew my crap

i never said that
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I can FEEL THE LOVE.

:redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

ranger5.0 wrote:I can FEEL THE LOVE. :redneck:
That aint love you feel. It's growing pains
There is nothing to indicate a maturity level like vocabulary power(or lack thereof)
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I had always heard the angle at the rear flange should be equal to the angle at the output. Tom Woods tech guy said that is perfectly accepted method and the car Mfgr's and others had been doing this for years. But the drawback there was that the oem did not take into account the amount of travel encountered in an off road vehicle. aiming it straight at the Tcase would not be the perfect setup but would be better throughout the full range of motion than equal angles. I've done this numerous times to my own and others vehicles and has never failed yet.
what I have always been told and what I have done myself is this:
if you are using a standard driveshaft with a slip yoke on the transfer case that is the way to do it, but if you are using a 3 ujoint style "CV" shaft with a fixed output on the transfer case then you need to have the rear pinion pointing so that it is as close to in line with the drive shaft as possible. that is why I leave mine a little low. when you recieve the small amount of axle wrap from take off it will pull up and put it self in line. with a linked suspension I would set it up as straight as possible, because linked suspension have little to no wrap because of the links.

desrt_rat

Post by desrt_rat »

let me see, an hour to get them off and relocate them, hmm, lets compair, an hour to drive to the parts store, buy the perches and back home and in the shop, plus 5 bucks for gas, and 20 bucks for perches.

so in review, an hour of cutting the old ones off to save 25 bucks makes a lot of sence to me. its an hour lost either way i do it.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

or you can just order them off line a few days before you start the project, like all people that plan ahead...

honestly, I don't get this argument...choose the way you want to do it. buy them, reuse them, who cares? it's a $20-$25 decission that we can all make on our own. all we are doing here is filling what could be a good thread of info into a bunch of useless comments like "go F@#$ your self".

what we are saying is, it is a cheap way to save time and make sure your project goes smooth and you arn't trying to make something work that might not be a good idea. honestly, if you want to spend your afternoon cutting off perches to save $20 then that is your choice and I am cool with that. just remember while you are standing there with a grinder trying to save that perch I will have the rear already back under the truck setting the pinion angle, or possibly drinking beer because I already finished the job.

Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Personally I would only use the old perches if I could cut them very carefully off in the first place. But I know me and that carefully doesnt describe me very well... LOL So you know how you do things, if you think reusing is the way to go do it. I know I have done things to my b2 that not everyone agrees with and thats my decision. The only thing I would request is pics. I am almost ready to move my b2.. I cant wait.
Dogfather

Post by Dogfather »

Hey D-Rat not everyone Like you and I live far away from part stores. Most live with in 10 min from a parts house. :usa:
Dogpoundoffroad is the Shiznit Dawg.
www.dogpoundoffroad.org
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Dogfather wrote:Most live with in 10 min from a parts house. :usa:
Hey, I heard you had to get a passport to visit Bucoda!!!!! I heard even the Republic of Cascadia refused to allow Bucoda to join the Republik!
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Dogfather

Post by Dogfather »

ha ha ha ha that's funny right there.... :redneck:
Dogpoundoffroad is the Shiznit Dawg.
www.dogpoundoffroad.org