Power Steering Leak

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jtrask

Power Steering Leak

Post by jtrask »

My '86 2.9 BII has an impressive power steering fluid leak. I've replaced the hose, but that has not solved the problem. Everything under the resevoir looks good.

The fluid is pouring out as soon as I add it in, but I cannot figure out where it's coming from.

Any suggestions of where leaks might be in the steering system would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jan
Jan Trask
desrt_rat

Post by desrt_rat »

i have been chasing the same problem, i think mine is coming from the gear box.
jtrask

Post by jtrask »

Mine's an automatic/4WD. Is yours?
Jan Trask
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

look to see if the plastic is cracked. it is common for the plastic res. to crack and leak.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
desrt_rat

Post by desrt_rat »

4x4, 5 speed, mine is leaking out the bottom.
jtrask

Post by jtrask »

Looks like mine is leaking on the backside of the resevoir. Was tricky to find though. The fluid looked like it was leaking out of the bottom.
Jan Trask
New2BII

Post by New2BII »

If the fluid is just dripping off the back of the resevoir and not the pump itself then you may just need to replace the o-ring seal that is between the pump and the resevoir. Just remove the hoses and then the fitting on the side of the resevoir (careful theres a spring in there) and then the resevoir will slide away from the pump. Chances are the o-ring in there has gone bad its a cheap part down at your local parts store but also check to see if the resevoir is cracked. Just put some petroleum jelly on the new seal and put it all back together. Not sure if this will help anyone due to the fact this topic was about 3 months ago but hey thought I'd add my 2 cents
If you have extra parts and bolts left over... Doesnt that just mean you were more innovative that time around???