bigger gas tank question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
4X4longbowhunter

bigger gas tank question

Post by 4X4longbowhunter »

I had a 1988 BII that crapped out on me so I stripped most of what I wanted off of it before it went byebye. She had the big tank which stupid me didn't remove. My question is when I change the 10 gallon tank on my 1988 BII I have now to a 23 gallon tank will the 10 gallon sending unit work on the 23 or will I need to get another sending unit?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I never heard of a 10 Gallon stock B2 tank.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

As far as the parts books go, there was NEVEr anything other than a 23 gallon used on BroncoII. Early Bronco had a 10 gallon and a second tank that was, I think, 12 gallons
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
4X4longbowhunter

I've never seen a 10 gallon tank until I got this one about 5 years ago. Got it from my brother-in-law with just a few gallons in the tank. When I filled it up I only got around 8 gallons in it. :wtf: So I ran that fuel almost totally out and tried again. The most I've ever got in it is 10 1/2 gallons. So I'm thinking someone has swapped tanks from another Ford or a vehicle that the tank would work in a BII with this 10 gallon.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

I would like to see this!
92 XJ-wifes toy
Trigger_2001

Post by Trigger_2001 »

when my gauge says empty and i fill up, i only get about 14 gallons in. of course i have a wacked out gauge and mine is an 88 bii.
The Bronc Rider (is only 15!!)
Joel H

Post by Joel H »

I'd like to see this too.

Mine is an 86

Liter tank
:finger:
4X4longbowhunter

fuel tank size

When I fill up the fuel spews out of the filler neck so even if my gauge is messed up this thing still acts like a small tank. Any of yall have rough dimensions of the outside size of a 23 gallon tank? I just might try to measure this thing before I drop it to have a looksee on the inside of it. : :idea:
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

That thing probably has a trap door in it, accessable from the top. Flip the carpet back and you'll see it. This was an option on the secret agent version of the BroncoII.
Once you get it open you'll find a liquid tight compartment suitable for carrying concealed drugs and weapons. I'd bet though in your case it'll have a small burlap covered bag of un cut diamonds worth about 234 million $$$$, give or take a few mill.
Keep us posted from your new home in Jamaica.
92 XJ-wifes toy
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

you bull fecesing people about that trap door arent you ive heard of trap doors on fuel tanks but not stock
Get Out Of Way Or Im Comin Over Ya
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

My chilton manual shows 15 Gal tank for 89/90. I always thought it was a type-o.

I'm betting your sending unit/guage is bad.
Trigger_2001

Post by Trigger_2001 »

Bob Myers wrote:That thing probably has a trap door in it, accessable from the top. Flip the carpet back and you'll see it. This was an option on the secret agent version of the BroncoII.
Once you get it open you'll find a liquid tight compartment suitable for carrying concealed drugs and weapons. I'd bet though in your case it'll have a small burlap covered bag of un cut diamonds worth about 234 million $$$$, give or take a few mill.
Keep us posted from your new home in Jamaica.
UR FULL OF IT!! it doesn't have a trap dppr below the carpet on the back!! ther's one in the tranny hump for an UZI!!! lol :D
The Bronc Rider (is only 15!!)
4X4longbowhunter

gas tank

I started running this thing way past empty. So far I've gone about 80 miles with the fuel gauge so far past empty you can't see it. Guess I'll see about a new sending unit and/or fuel gauge. My baby still runs good considering how much gas is in the tank as well as how long this stuff has been in there. One day I'll try to find the trap door. With my luck the only thing will be a note saying :finger: